RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Guidelines - Required Reading before posting!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM

Re: Guidelines - Required Reading before posting!

Hi. Just joined recently. I read the guidelines and totally agree and will abide by them. It's like I told my students in a class once, "The word Suck is not allowed anywhere in a critique or evaluation" LOL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Couch View Post
These are important guidelines to follow when posting in this forum. I am going to ask that prior to posting here, everyone read these and acknowledge that they have, either in this thread or send me a PM...I know that sounds pretty strict but it will hopefully help avoid any situations of posters making personal attacks or "drive-by" posters - individuals who show up, post 30 images at once and then never contribute anything else. Anyone who blatantly disregards the guidelines, engages in personal attacks, or is just consistently rude, will get a very kind warning...followed by not-so-kind action if the behavior continues. Keep in mind however, there is a big difference between honest discussion and rude behavior...

These are guidelines that apply to giving and receiving a critique-

DO -
  • make constructive comments.
  • post any photographic image - Restorations, Photo-Art, Retouching (keep in mind that the guidelines that govern the overall site apply here as well.)
  • qualify compliments or criticisms with reasons and give suggestions for improvement.
  • be honest. If you really do not like something, say so!
  • If you post an image, write a basic description of how the image was created. This is very important as it will help others give a more informed opinion and allow everyone to learn.
  • post your skill level. If you have just begun to learn a program like Photoshop, please say so....And if you are giving a critique, keep the skill level of the image creator in mind. No one will benefit if you treat a beginner like a pro or vice versa.
  • Always try to post something positive even if you really dislike an image.
  • ask for things to be explained further if you do not understand someone's comments.
  • keep in mind that opinions are subjective...and a criticism of your work is not an attack on your character.
  • feel free to make any suggestions that you feel would improve this forum!
  • ask before uploading changes to someone's image. This mostly applies to when you see a post by a new member. Some people may take offense to any altering of their images and a quick "is it ok to make and upload changes?" could prevent a confrontation.

DON'T -
  • engage in personal attacks, or make rude comments
  • make posts that only compliment or only criticize. The fact that you might like an image is wonderful...but please explain why!
  • post every image you have ever created. This forum is really meant for in-depth discussion of work...so be selective about the image you post for critique. It might be your best work and you want to see what other's think...it might be an image that is giving you all sorts of problems... Or perhaps it's an image that is bound for a competition or show and you want to get the opinion of peers. It could even be an image that a client rejected and you want to find out where you went wrong!
  • flood the forum with images. No one is going to respond if you upload 20 images in one day. 1 or 2 images a week is probably a good number. This will allow everyone to see your work and make detailed comments before you post another image.
  • post an image and then not respond to any of the comments. We want a dialogue...not comments that fall on deaf ears or posters who disappear into thin air after uploading.

These guidelines are a rough idea of how this forum should operate...and will probably be updated and added to. Most of all just keep in mind that this site has developed a reputation as being one of the most helpful on the net and this forum should continue in that spirit.

Have fun!
G'day Greg. I am in complete agreement wiyh your Guide lines. Now comes the crunch. At 74 and playing with Photoshop 7 for a few years I am still a Novice.
I have in my possession an Old Matte? finish photo which I need to Restore. My 2 younger Sisters in mid 1940's, main damage where Mum had stuck it in an Albumn with Celotape and blocks the view of Hand of sister.
I would appreciate any help to restore this very important picture for my Family Photo Albumn Genealogy site holding several hundred Photos
Thanks for your consideration.
Graham Norris.
Uroo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2008, 03:19 PM

Read it and agree !
Thanks !
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorris View Post
At 74 and playing with Photoshop 7 for a few years I am still a Novice.
I have in my possession an Old Matte? finish photo which I need to Restore. I would appreciate any help to restore this very important picture for my Family Photo Albumn Genealogy site
Thanks for your consideration.
Graham Norris.
Uroo
Graham,
Welcome to RetouchPRO, Good luck and enjoy your time here. I hope you will make many new friends here.

As far as your restoration.. Scan it at the highest resolution in RGB with all the automatic stuff turned OFF (NO color correction, color balance, contrast, Etc)
bring it into Photoshop and start a NEW thread ( Here )
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 12:48 PM

Have read and could not agree more. There are times when some of the remarks seem a bit sarcastic and out of line but that would be the exception rather than the rule.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 AM

I have read and I also agree to the guide lines.

Jason
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 09:12 PM

I have no problem with the courtesy rules. Looking forward to helpful discussions
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 08:57 AM

G'day cclinton, must be holding my mouth wrong. Thought I'd sent a "thanks for reply." Memory not what it was.
I have had several hints re some of my Photo's sumitted to Renovation. All of them good.
Can you advise me on where I send My renovated Photos too for Fault errors if any and what techniques required
Thanks
Graham
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 AM

Hello,
I'm newly registered. I'm "reader" by nature, not "writer", I've been reading photo-furums for a long time, and learned a lot. Thanks to all - both askers and those giving the answers.
There is no other forum with such a friendly voices.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 PM

I've have read and agree but have not read how to start a new thread. How do you start a new thread?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques