Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Old 06-04-2003, 01:43 AM
Sorry to be a thread hog here, but I forgot to mention this in my earlier post. Chuck mentioned running a USM, and Greg recommended using levels to boost the colors. The problem with the original image was that the grain was already at a pretty high level after the scan. I can't say anything about the film as I was only given the negative of the one image, so I don't know what ASA or even what make of film it was. I have a feeling that it was 400ASA because of the grain that I found straight off. As you all know, both USM and levels/curves adjustments boost the grain, which was one of the reasons why I only used a very light USM.

The horror for fixers - P&S cameras with high ASA films often give clients images that they treasure most. Not to mention cheap prints which turn red after a year.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by BigAl
Ok, Jeanie good one - I'll try a selection on the dress/veil and have a shot at desaturating it. It will be interesting to see what the tree/grass looks like under the veil if it's desaturated.
Al, I just checked my version of PSP7 and it appears that you can run the Hue/Sat adjustment layer on individual color channels just like in PS. The nice thing about that (at least in this picture) is that you don't need to make a selection to desaturate the dress! Try a hue/sat adjustment layer and work on the blue and cyan channels. (There is more blue than cyan in the veil, so you might want to start there or you won't notice much of a difference.)

I don't think it looks bad against the grass or tree with the veil desaturated, but if you want it to be a little more "see thru", I would select a color from the grass and tree, then paint over veil on a separate layer set to color blending mode, and adjust the layer to a low opacity, paying attention to where the veil is bunched and where it's not b/c more color will show through from the background where there's just a single layer of the veil and not so much will show through where there's more fabric.

All this said, I'm thinking like I do in PS and trying to figure out how to do it in PSP, so perhaps there's a better way that I don't know about!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Upon opening the picture, two things struck me instantly.

What I noticed first was the flatness and reddish tinge to the tree and entire background, and a yellowish dead color in the grass, making the photo look discolored/old in general.

Second, I noticed that the couple was pretty far off-center and there seemed to be way too much tree and grass. If you have to choose, and here you do, I'd choose to trim off the left side of her train so the photo could be cropped to center them and get rid of the unattractive grass and tree.

Here is the fix I tried for color correction. First I ran auto-levels and faded it almost halfway to get out the excess cyan and blue it added. Then I used color balance with the "preserve luminosity" box NOT checked, adding about 20% more yellow to highlights, and about 10% green to midtones, and about 5% cyan to shadows. This killed the excess magenta in his suit and her gown, and warmed up the gown shadows. Last I increased saturation of greens and reds but not blues and magentas.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch-wedding.jpg (95.5 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 06-06-2003 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques