RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Looking to the future

Old 06-16-2003, 04:30 PM

Hi, Jill. This is a VERY noisy image, which adds evidence that the initial black and white conversion technique was probably the wrong one. Whatever different colors might have been in the original have blended into one, leaving it very flat to look at. I can see the effect you are going for, but the face and dress are left without any contrast. I think the eyes are too dark. A soft focus might have been more what you had in mind. The flatness of contrast is extreme, but can still be recovered with curves layers. I like the warm gold coloring for this! So this is what I came up with, although working with the original would of course be easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lookahead1 copy.jpg (71.0 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2003, 05:19 PM

Thank you Bill for taking the time to work on this.

I do have a question --- I did try curves on this and it just did not look right. I assume you used curves on the image you submitted, how did you keep the soft look? -- the color you added is very soft and does enhance the image to atchive the look I want. Roger addressed the eyes very well (am hoping I can duplicate).

I am going to re-do this from scratch and any tips will help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 07:49 AM

Hi, Jill. We have available some great soft look actions such as the Dream Filter, but the same basic results can be achieved with the simple steps I used for your photo:

1. Duplicate the background layer.
2. Set the blend to Soft Light
3. Select gaussian blur and play with the amount. More will result in a lighter image, less will make a darker image.
4. Use additional layers to increase the effect.
5. You may then wish on a duplicate layer to set the blend mode to screen to lighten parts of the image more. Reduce the opacity to, say, 30 percent, add a layer mask, and selectively add or subtract some glow.
Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 08:44 PM

I want to thank everyone for the comments, suggestions, and step by step instructions - with samples for me to go by.
I know it takes time to work an image, and I do appriciate all of your time.

I wrote everything down and spent the night learning, and working the image. I will not say that what I have produced even comes close to the samples provided -- but wanted to let you know I have learned soooo much. So here is one in a kinda gold tone and one in a blue tone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg verityg1.jpg (98.3 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 08:46 PM

and the blue.
I did put the first one I submitted next to these two I did tonight and I can see the difference in the depth -- so I know I am getting close. Now it is a matter of practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg verityb.jpg (94.4 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 08:55 PM

OH! I can not believe this -- in looking at the images I just realized the one I worked on tonight is not the one I submitted!
-- So just in case anyone notices !!!!
I was starting from scratch, litterally!

Oh well that gives me something to work on later this week! LOL

And yes I am the one who got 5 out of 10 on the real image or digital quiz! DUH !

Last edited by TwinbNJ; 06-18-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 09:28 PM

Jill,

There is a huge difference between the two new images you posted and the original. The new ones, especially the wonderful blue toned one, go much, much further in expressing what you wanted to...a mysterious, ethereal quality. Bravo!

The more I look at this image, the more I am reminded of the Mona Lisa! The look on her face seems to be half smile and half sad at the same time...makes for a very complex and interesting image. Roger's suggestion for the blue tone really works for this...and I think your tones are much better than the ones we put up!

The corsage still drives me nuts. It throws the image off a bit...but it's nothing major and eliminating would require some pretty heavy duty cloning. Also, The edges of her arms seem a bit blurry. That could be a mask that's a little over blurred...or perhaps just a result of jpeg compression.

Other than that, I would not touch things...print it! I am more than a little impressed at what you were able to gain from this critique and apply to this photo. It's a really lovely image.

(those were "elaborated kudos"... )
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 09:51 PM

Wow thank you!
I debated on the corsage , but was so anxious to try the tips I did not take it out (but agree it takes away from the look). -- Now that I know I did the wrong picture I think I will take it out and try the blue tones to print. I am torn between the two pictures, I love the veil and stance in the first one -- but favor the facial exprssion, along with her body posture in the second. Guess I'll do both --- without the corsage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 10:00 PM

I must have missed your post about it being a different image when I was writing mine...can't believe I did not notice the difference as I had them both side by side on the screen! oh well...it's been a long day.

Now that I see both images...I like the second one better, but both are great images. You could always move the head from one to the other!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 11:28 PM

Quote:
The more I look at this image, the more I am reminded of the Mona Lisa! -- Greg
For the artistic author of the "NO KUDOS ONLY" thread to post the above comment is extremely special.

Jill -- you deserve to be happy about what you have accomplished and what you are learning. This is the type of image that will be well worth the effort it takes to make it even better.

Just be careful how much you share with Verity about her image reminding someone of the Mona Lisa -- she may start charging you to be your model.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques