RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Bell Tower

Old 06-24-2003, 12:09 PM

Bill & Mig,

When you speak of curves and their "built-in masks", are you referring to adding a layer mask and painting out the areas you don't want to affect (or painting in the areas you do want to affect, depending on how you started)?

I just want to make sure there's no obvious or neat-o trick I'm missing out on.

I spent almost the whole day yesterday playing around with b&w conversions and actions. Found a nice site that had many actions posted, some for b&w and a few others that might come in handy (url is http://www.nickgallery.com/web_pages/technical.htm).

Also received my sample print of the peizography B&W inks yesterday (my sample is the Warm Neutral). It looks sooooo nice. But I'll have to find some high justification for the investment (new printer, software, inks at $40/bottle...).

And tonight I'll be installing my Photoshop 7 upgrade (been using the trial version).

so much to do, and so little spare time... but I'm slowly getting closer to possibly making a business out of this. It's the light at the end of my current bureaucratic tunnel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2003, 05:11 PM

Hi, Lance. No, no special trick. I'm talking about Curves Adjustment Layers, which automatically come with a layer mask. Adjustment layers have ALL KINDS of advantages. I eyeball the part of the image I want to effect and play with the curves until I like it, then invert the mask to black (or "hide all" as they call it) and paint with white over the desired area. The advantage to me is the ease of trial and error work with curves and adjustment layers. There are ways to do similar work with dodge and burn, so it's probably a matter of preference.

Roger- thanks for the input. Ya know, I think I just got lazy in those trees. Valuable lesson learned. Secondary areas of an image are not invisible. Out of mind, maybe, but not out of sight. After these things are pointed out, they become glaring. Thanks again.

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2003, 10:25 PM

Keep in mind too that you can also filter these masks. This comes in really handy, especially for a typical layer mask, where you need to soften what you've done.
Play around with this stuff cuz it'll take you into interesting places.

Mig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2003, 09:41 PM

I wanted to share a photo I took from a 727 above Colorado in January of 2002. The original is color, and I used Bill's action to convert it to b&w.

It was taken with an Olympus C4040 digital camera. I leaned over my son (carseats have to go in a window seat) and took the photo by looking in the lcd display.

Yesterday while driving home I found myself looking at the trees and sky and judging them for texture, contrast, and form. Maybe time to start carrying my camera around with me.

I have a friend who has a really nice 35mm and mainly shoots with b&w film (he also took the photo of my son that is now my avatar here). Last summer he and another friend took a trip to Alaska. You can check out his shots here:
http://www.visstim.com/Gann.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow-mesas-black-and-white-.jpg (88.6 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2003, 06:47 AM

If we were allowed to give kudos here, I'd say great job.
Bill
p.s. I'm disappointed that the avatar photo is not of you. I thought we might have a prodigy in our midst!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques