RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Bell Tower

Old 06-19-2003, 08:48 AM

Bell Tower

As many of you know, I have discussed black and white conversions here, trying to learn it. I used my posted action to start this one, and then used curves to finish it. There is a slight tritone hue applied that I also gave the recipe for earlier.
I took this mundane shot a few days ago, just to try this conversion. It is the conversion I ask for your critique on, not the original photo.
Thanks, Bill
Here is the original...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bell tower orig.jpg (82.9 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 08:51 AM

...and here is the conversion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bell tower1.jpg (98.9 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 10:58 AM

You have certainly devised a better method than grayscaling or even use of Channel Mixing. You have a much wider spread of tones than you would get by just using the Lightness channel or grayscaling, etc. I love the look of a well done black/white. Your image looks like a black/white photo shot with a filter (green, I think -- I always forget how that works) to enhance the foliage.

It works for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 11:50 AM

Bill,

that looks great to me. Very nice depth to the image.

when you say "I used my posted action to start this one...", which action are you referring to? I searched a bit, and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Lance Goins
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 03:22 PM

C. J., thanks. And you are right. The green channel was where I started on the conversion on this image.

Lance, for the action, try the following thread: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=5845

Don, I had the advantage of working on the 5mb original, so naturally your edges will come out a little rougher and noisier. The blur parts you see were a failed intentional effort (I can see now) to try to add a tad more depth, i.e. sort of a soft out of focus foreground. Because of the size difference of the original versus what you had to work with, comparing ours might be apples and oranges. I tried to maximize definition in the trees and clouds because I thought they made a decent frame. And I tried to maximize contrast between the light and dark parts of the tower. Finished it off with a slight edge burn.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 09:57 PM

First off, it's very nice. I like it a lot.
However, even without trying the action I'm willing to bet this wasn't done with the action alone. The picture itself was free transformed, and I also believe other than curves, the picture was dodged. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Nicely done.

Mig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2003, 07:13 AM

Thanks, Mig. You are partially correct. As I said, I use my action just to start the process. The previous thread I referenced and the one that it in turn references give my approach to each detail in an image. I don't use the dodge and burn tools. I prefer to use curves adjustment layers with their built in masks to tweak even tiny areas. I believe it gives far more capability.
Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2003, 10:31 AM

Wow Bill... that's an action-and-a-half.

Maybe we can get Adobe to add in a "b&w variations" preview for Photoshop that does something like this. It's really nice to easily see all the easy-to-get variations together like this, and be able to compare them all quickly to see which has the best results.

Thanks again,
Lance
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2003, 01:44 AM

Bill

Beautiful range and tones. The tree on the right looks mottled, towards the top of the tree areas that have been lightened include shadows that on other parts of the tree are much darker but in these lighter spots have the hazy "black made into grey" look. If you like useing curves mask, maybe load luminunce into the mask, then use the dodge or burn tool on the mask so that you can just affect highlight, midtones or shadows and the work doesn't bleed over ... just brain storming.

Good work, Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2003, 09:32 PM

Bill says, "I don't use the dodge and burn tools. I prefer to use curves adjustment layers with their built in masks to tweak even tiny areas. I believe it gives far more capability."

I agree with you 100%. Many people are not aware of this technique and it is very useful, much better than the dodge and burn tools. If anyone has the time it would be a good addition to the tutorials section. Many people are confused about masks and this is something that would really open people up to a whole new way of looking at how they do things in photoshop. We could also use a tutorial about adjustment layers themselves, as I think many people don't know much about them, and some don't even know they exist.

Mig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques