RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

1st Post & Recent Project

Old 07-12-2003, 02:35 PM

1st Post & Recent Project

Hello, All! And thanks to Ken for telling me about this site. I just wanted to see what you thought of a recent project of mine, done on a throwaway pic from a recent shoot. I didn't use fill flash when I should have. Besides any "photographic" issues, what do you think?

Before...
http://www.pbase.com/image/18927314.jpg

And After...
http://www.pbase.com/image/18955187.jpg

Any constructive comments, compliments, suggestions, tips, more than welcome!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2003, 04:23 PM

Great job on improving the model's "look". The new exposure, color balance etc. etc. are all really well done.

Slight quibble with the background which looks pretty much untouched to me. The background levels are now so much different than the "improved" model that the 2 look disjoint somehow - like she was cut and paste into the scene.

So - you've got the model's settings nailed - perfect. I would work just a bit on the background to equalize the appearance - and I think that would make the 2 pieces look more integrated.

Great job.

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2003, 07:37 PM

I actually like the whole photo a little more like the original. I think just add a catch light and soften under the eyes. Lighten overall with a curves layer for lightening set to luminosity blending mode so that tou don't change the color intensity. She has gone from a natural light look which accentuates her shape beautifully to a flatter 'fill flash' lighting effect.

Feels a little washed out - but that could be a difference in our monitors

Very nice relaxed and flattering body posture and expression, beautifull light.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2003, 02:03 AM

Great job on improving the model's "look". The new exposure, color balance etc. etc. are all really well done.
Thanks!
Slight quibble with the background which looks pretty much untouched to me. The background levels are now so much different than the "improved" model that the 2 look disjoint somehow - like she was cut and paste into the scene.
I was experimenting with adding "fill flash" via Photoshop. I frankly wasn't sure what to do with the background. I think my choices are to bring it to within a stop either higher or lower. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply. I am really seeing a lot of good stuff here. i can tell i have a lot to learn. Hopefully, I can contribute something as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2003, 02:13 AM

I actually like the whole photo a little more like the original...
I did try one as you suggested. I do mostly natural light photography, and am trying to get my technique down for when i really needed a flash. This seemed as good a pic as any to experiment on, as i thought her pose and the camera position were complimentary to her figure. Some have said the camera angle was too high, but that is part of taking the pounds off photographically in this case.

I think i may have gone a little overboard by not bringing the background up some as well. It is such a busy background that i was hoping to put even more attention on the pretty girl. perhaps she can do that on her own and i shouldn't worry about it?

Feels a little washed out - but that could be a difference in our monitors
This does "push the edge", but it shouldn't be washed out. i'll assume the monitor difference, but there shouldn't be that much of a difference in the monitors of two highly qualified professionals like us, right?

Very nice relaxed and flattering body posture and expression, beautifull light.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2003, 11:56 AM

Very good job of bringing up the lights on the subject. The picture has an inclination to adjust toward a coolness, but you moved it toward a nice warm feel that is very flattering to the subject and makes the picture nicer to look at.

Background. The picture looks like the foreground was lit differently, and from what you say, that was your goal. I would be interested in seeing the background more like the foreground, though, to give an overall warm feel (like a warm day). You could still set off the background with a slight gaussian blur. This would keep the focus to the front and allow for an overall warm feel.

Lost detail. Look at her hair just above her left shoulder (our right). The detail is blown out. Also, the detail on the top of her head on the other side. This goes beyond what sunshine could do. Look at the top of the dress where there are two blue spots surrounded by lightness. This appears to be blown out too. And even though these are isolated spots, it contributes to a partially washed out feel. Would it be possible to get that detail back without changing your the overall warm light feel? It might be worth a try.

Anyway, despite my quibbles I still think you did a very good job with the light on the subject. Gives the picture a nice warm and open feel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2003, 12:57 PM

Jeb,

What steps did you take to add "fill flash". Katrin Eismann's steps for adding fill flash include:

duping the original image
converting dupe file to Grayscale
adding Gaussian Blur (about 3-5 pixel radius) to soften details
inverting the duped image - this negative image will be used to mask the original

Load the dupe (background gray) as a Selection, then add Layer->New->Layer via Copy (Ctrl-J)
Fill the new layer with 50% Gray -- making sure to check Preserve Transparency and to choose Color Dodge blending mode in the Fill dialogue box.

This method will affect both the subject and the background. You might see the need to tweek the results, but it's an excellent starting point.

You might have used this technique -- my eye isn't great at identifying techniques used, but it looks like a different method to me. If so, you might want to try hers to see which you prefer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2003, 02:19 PM

Very good job of bringing up the lights on the subject. The picture has an inclination to adjust toward a coolness, but you moved it toward a nice warm feel that is very flattering to the subject and makes the picture nicer to look at.
Thanks! I like a warmer look to all of my portraits.

Background. The picture looks like the foreground was lit differently, and from what you say, that was your goal.
It was, but I think that I still need to work on the background. I will take your suggestion of just warming it up and adding some blur. That way, maybe it won't look so disjointed.

Lost detail. Look at her hair just above her left shoulder...the detail on the top of her head on the other side...the top of the dress where there are two blue spots surrounded by lightness.
The hair i left because I have taken pics in this style and like the extreme highlight in the hair. The top part of the dress I did actually bring back some detail in this result. In the full res version, it is possible to see some color in there. The dress is rather bright, but there is color/detail in the area discussed in full res. It still isn't perfect, but the total job only took me about 10-15 minutes and i was trying to get good value exchanged for time.

I think I will play with it some more, trying to tie in the background better and retain some more highlight detail in the dress. Once I do it the first time, I should be able to do it more quickly after that

Anyway, despite my quibbles I still think you did a very good job with the light on the subject. Gives the picture a nice warm and open feel.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2003, 02:28 PM

What steps did you take to add "fill flash". Katrin Eismann's steps for adding fill flash
Though I am familiar with the technique you describe, I usually reserve that for when I am not expecting to do a lot of retouching on the image besides general lighting. I had the raccoon eyes, bags under her eyes, as well as various skin problems to fix. As a result, I used levels, curves (I use curves A LOT), the history brush, and layer masks, well as a 2 step USM and slight contrast. I also used the healing brush and the brush tool set at various modes and opacity/flow to complete the repair, and then very slight (3 pixels @ 50%) gaussian blur on the skin to finish it off. i know it sounds involved (it took me about 2 hours to get 80% done trying to explain this over the phone yesterday), but it only took me about 10-15 minutes to do it in real life.

I think tha main thing I did wrong was to create the adjustment layers of her too early. I should have warmed/lightened the whole image first so it didn't look so disjointed. Learn and let learn, i suppose.

Thank you for the reply. you did a great job explaining Katrin's method. The more of these tricks and tools you know, the easier and faster it is to accomplish your goal.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques