RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Just some tries retouching/restoring

Old 09-26-2003, 02:24 PM

Just some tries retouching/restoring

Hi all,

I've just set up a part of my website dedicated to restorations and retouches...

All my website is in french, but here is the direct link to retouching work :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sitamik/Retouches/_index.html

Right now there are 5 pics :

1/ Excuse : this is just a funny one...

2 & 3/ Corvette & Citadelle : retouching work... I've erased people on these pics... Most difficult was recreating complex background

4 & 5/ Chiques & Infirmiers : restoration work.

Those 5 pics are almost my 1st work with Photoshop Elements...

Sure it could be better...
I'm very impressed with some works made on challenges...

All critiques and suggestions are welcome...

RetouchPro is a great site and is linked on the index page of the retouching/restoring part of my website...

Michel
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2003, 11:17 PM

Overall I think they're very good.
A few suggestions:
On Infirmiers, I would suggest an adjustment layer of channels, masked to only affect the center of the photo, to darken up the shadows. That portion of the photo appears to be overexposed.
Additionally I can see the diagonal crease in the neck of the top row man who's just left of center.

On Chiques, I think it's a fine retouch but a tad oversharpened. In the Unsharp Mask settings, reduce the "radius" setting to avoid the "halo" effect that's seen around the sign letters.

On Corvette, the tree on the far left has kind of a blotchy brown spot where the windshield and people used to be. It sort of looks like part of the tree is missing.

Other than what I have mentioned, it is hard to tell that they've been manipulated at all. I had to look for quite a while on the Corvette photo to notice that anything was different.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 AM

Thank you Boingo for all those suggestions...

Everything you said is quite true ! I've made some printing and it's much more visible on printings !!!

On Infirmiers, the center is a little lighter on the center. Unfortunately, I work with Photoshop Elements - not Photoshop - and I don't know if it's possible to make an adjustment as you said.. Should I mask only the center and darken up or is there another trick more simple to do this ?

True also on Chiques.. My first retouche didn't include a sharpen manipulation... I exagerated too much the sharpening. It's also much more visible on the printing...

Hard to find on Corvette, but this one was not very too difficult to retouch...

In fact the most difficult with this kind of retouch is recreating the background when the background is with lot of different textures (a wall with small staones for exemple). This was the case for the other one (Citadelle)... Tough work to do...

Thanks again for your suggestions... It's quite interesting to have an external view on its own work !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2003, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micmer
On Infirmiers, the center is a little lighter on the center. Unfortunately, I work with Photoshop Elements - not Photoshop - and I don't know if it's possible to make an adjustment as you said.. Should I mask only the center and darken up or is there another trick more simple to do this ?...
In fact the most difficult with this kind of retouch is recreating the background when the background is with lot of different textures (a wall with small staones for exemple). This was the case for the other one (Citadelle)... Tough work to do.....
Unfortunately I am not familiar with Elements and don't know what features it includes and what it eliminates. Are you able to create adjustment layers? In your layers palette it would be a half black, half white circle on a rectangle button. With adjustment layers you are able to do Levels or Curves to a select part of the image, and you are able to change the Levels or Curves settings at anytime. Because they are stored on a different layer, you can turn the adjustment layer on and off and your original image data is never lost or "thrown away".

Those were really the only things I could find to critique in your images, really they're very good.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques