RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

makeover hell

Old 11-06-2003, 06:21 PM

makeover hell

Well I’m embarrassed to say that I took this picture. It was on location at my aunt’s house and I had a flash that fell and broke on me so I didn't have to good fill light. Then on top of they where all drinking and since it was 102 degrees outside they where all sweaty. Nothing like shooting sweaty drunk ppl with a broken light lol.

Any heres what I got and my attempt to retouch this bad boy. retouch hell

The makeup that she had on didn’t match her tan so that was fun to deal with. I used clone brush, neat Image and the technique here to help smooth out the skin textures and modeling I was getting.

Do you think I went too far? Does it look to plastic like? Actually it doesn’t look bad buy itself, just when you compare it next to the original it looks over done. Maybe if I add makeup? Well let me know what you guys think.

btw Does anybody know a place or book on applying makeup digitally?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Janitor

It's really not bad. Maybe you just went overboard a little. Removing every single line, especially in older faces, gives it that plastic look. You might try layering the two and using a blend mode to achieve something in-between.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2003, 08:01 PM

I agree with Doug.
It does look a little over done. One of the things that stands out the most to me is the lack of shine on her skin. I think it should have some. It looks healthy and balances out the shadows.
I'm sure if you layer this over the original and adjust the opacity, it will look great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2003, 09:35 PM

The lack of highlights and the fact that "most" of the character lines (wrinkles, moles) no longer exist does give a rather flat appearance. Both of these things can easily be fixed with little effort, seeing you did such a fine job on everthing else.
The background is a definite improvement. I would have to agree with the other comments concerning the facial features.
Katrin Eismann has a section in her book where she touchs on glamour and fashion retouching.

Last edited by LQQKER; 11-06-2003 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2003, 01:41 AM

I'm personally not too bothered by the lack of shine but I agree that the problem is you've gone too far in getting rid of the lines. Katrin Eismann suggests reducing the length of the wrinkle and softening what remains, rather than removing it altogether, since wrinkles get longer and deeper with time - if you keep the wrinkles in but make them shorter and shallower then you are keeping the person the same but taking several years off.

For example, try copying your "after" image as a new layer on top of your "before" image at around 70% opacity. I think you will find that that gives a more "natural" appearance.

We've had the question about resources for digital makeup in another thread and so far as I remember no one could come up with a good resource. I personally would say that once you've fixed the "fake" look here you don't need any additional makeup - you're working with a nice muted color palette that works very well with the image and more makeup would be "too much".
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2003, 01:27 AM

I agree with you all. When I started out on this project I wanted to see if I can remove all the age lines and now I found out that it just doesnt look natural.

On my second try I added some highlights to the face adding a duplicate layer and changing the blend to screen and masking all out. Ithen painted the highlights back in. Looked better put still not right.

On my final I did what Leah said to do. I started with the original and put my first try on top of that and dropped the opacity to 80%. Looked Great but then I duplicated that image and did what I said on my second try to add somemore highlights and ended up with my final that I am very happy with.

Thanks Leah for the advice. You saved me hours of work here. Actually thank you all for your input.

all four images
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2003, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leah
We've had the question about resources for digital makeup in another thread and so far as I remember no one could come up with a good resource.
I found a tutorial on digital makeup at shanzcan.com.
http://www.shanzcan.com/photoshopmam...shop_mama.html

I don't know if you can translate it to other image editing programs, but it's the best tutorial for Photoshop digital makeup that I've found.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2003, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the link charityk.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2003, 05:46 PM

Hi

Doesn't anyone like airbrushing besides me?
...Pierre...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2003, 08:19 AM

Excellent results!

Pierre, I don't think anyone uses an "airbrush" technique, as it doesn't produce realistic results.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques