RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Is this over the top?

Old 01-04-2004, 09:17 AM

My good morning to you. Looks like I'm one of the first one's up. Your new post is much improved. I like the background you've chosen even better now that it is toned down. Also, way to go in getting rid of the ghosting in the procession. Just some thoughts. The 3rd girl seems at odds with the rest. Maybe try lightening her. You've cropped off some of the foreground woman's hair. Add back some hair fringes so we know it's people in the foreground. I also like the foreground candle in the original. Here are just some fast adjustments. Keep working on this image. It has nice potential.

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duvsprocession.jpg (91.1 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 01:14 PM

I'm awake - kinda

It is so easy with Photoshop to pick a color that is unnaturally saturated. I desaturated the blue to about the same saturation as the skin, then added some stars where the clouds weren't.

Hope you like, Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc_stars.jpg (78.8 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 03:19 PM

I'm asleep - soon.

Roger, after all the trouble I've had removing noise (ISO 342, remember?), you go and add it all back in!!! ARGH!!!!

Looking fabulous!

And Duv, I've lightened girl #3, looks much better. And while I was at it, I fixed up Lucia herself a bit too. Same adjustment layer and mask, so why not?

Now I need to tidy up my layers before I continue. Lost track of what I'm doing...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 06:18 PM

Here's my attempt - masked figures, tweaked levels, added various blues together as background, then added an Auto FX Dreamy Photo (free plugin) layer at reduced opacity, and added a bit of motion blur to the image to match the original. And did a slightly different crop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc130048_attempt.jpg (95.4 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2004, 04:26 PM

Thanks folks, response overload!

I will probably not be able to follow up on this for at least a week (going to Portugal for an "oval" weekend), but each and every one of you has submitted valuable ideas that I will definitely be using in my next iteration on this image.

Hope to have something interesting to manipulate when I'm back from Lisbon!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 07:02 AM

New attempt

No, I did not chicken out!

After all your comments I had to decide on what I really want to achieve. Bear with me; I know you've been there too So -- do I want to create some dreamy fantasy scene? Or something that might pass for a photo? Or something else?

I dropped the fantasy idea and instead decided to create "something that might have been". Not a photo of the real event, but an image of a Lucia procession that might have been. I think I will be able to credit each and every one of you.

Vikki: "Is that "render clouds" [insert audible hrumph here ]
The background is now the view from my kitchen window before dawn. Real trees. Real snow.

Mike: I've removed (almost) everything synthetic. Does it look more real to you now?

Roger: Brightness is down. Better? And your stars...... The stars now are the stars you can see at this altitude in the evening of Dec 13. They are synthetic, created by Starry Night (http://www.starrynight.com) I've lifted blue just slightly in the foreground. The blue trees I got "for free"

Duv: Mummy gone. Foreground replaced by actual foreground from the original photo. The blown highlights are blown originally, but I've taken them down to approx 230-240. But since these girls are suppposed to be saints, more or less, I think we can live with that. (And this was the only useable picture!) I've lifted girl #3, and darkened the last girl's back. Since the mummy is gone, there should be no light behind her.

Leah: I downloaded and installed Dreamy Photo, but lost it somehow. And after Lisbon I forgot

So here we go again. There is one thing in the picture that I'm not satisfied with, but if any of you don't notice I guess it's good enough.

Please whet your knives again!

Note: When I do Save for Web, the colours brighten up. It was darker in Photoshop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC130048_3.jpg (93.7 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 08:01 AM

I like it better.
But, (gets out knife...) I would probably blur the background, as it is much sharper than than the foreground. Perhaps a nice effect that would simulate the foreground would be a slight Gaussian Blur and a Diffuse Glow.
The one girl on the left with the candles in her hair....candles look cut out. I would probably blur and glow those edges too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 08:20 AM

Hi Vikki

That's interesting. The things you mention are things I considered, but didn't do. Now why didn't I even try it, that's another question.

I thought I could get away with the camera being focused on infinity, but I do admit it doesn't look good.

The electric candles - you're absolutely right. They are indeed cut out. I pondered for a while on making them more like the real candles but forgot about it! Really. I also considered making some photos of real candles and replacing the blown-out ones but forgot that too. Sigh.

But Diffuse Glow - I've seen it but don't know what it is. It may be exactly what I've been looking for. Back to the lab.

But wait -- then I add Diffuse Glow and then you say "That looks like Diffuse Glow. Hurmph!"

Thanks, Vikki!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 AM

Well, diffuse glow wasn't right for this anyway.
I did some quick effects to show you what I was thinking, mind you, it's only what I would do...
I selected the children and put them on their own layer. (very high feather)
Then I blurred the background and foreground, and slightly desaturated.
I set the layer to multiply and adjusted the opacity.
So now what you have is the original of the children, laying on top of the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg candles2.jpg (79.0 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 AM

Also, I meant to add that the image looks different in "save to Web" because of the way you have your color profiles and soft proofing set up.
I'm guessing this picture has a different profile than your "working" profile.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques