RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Is this over the top?

Old 01-26-2004, 09:02 AM

Hmmm, I used to assign Adobe RGB, but now I've reverted to sRGB. I thought sRGB was the colourspace for web, but I may be wrong.

Trying to get Diffuse Glow to work (know you're waiting in the shadows with your knife...), but with little success. But it seems I can use Layer style Outer Glow instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=Rexx]Hmmm, I used to assign Adobe RGB, but now I've reverted to sRGB. I thought sRGB was the colourspace for web, but I may be wrong.

If you're "working" profile is sRGB (and the Web is) then you must be using "soft proofing" set to some other profile, or perhaps the image has a different profile.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 09:44 AM

You're right Vikki. Soft proofing is set to paper. I'm at war with Epson and my printer! I have an Epson Stylus Photo 950 with roll paper feeder and automatic cutter, and what do you think happens when I install? The Epson driver does not support roll paper and the cutter! I managed to find Gimp-Print, an Open Source printer driver that actually supports both roll feed and cutter for this Epson, but it does not support Colour Management, argh! I temporarily abandoned the printer project in favour of retouching. So now I'm in the middle of a mess. There is a tutorial by G Ballard on how to colour manage using only Photoshop, but for the moment I'm stuck, and haven't got around to sorting it all out.

To add insult to injury, Epson has released a model 960 in the US (not Europe). As far as I can see, it's a 950 with a card reader. THIS driver supports the roll and the cutter, but doesn't recognize the 950...

Sorry, this was very off topic. Back to my glow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 12:10 PM

I was unable to make Diffuse Glow work, so I used Outer Glow instead. Difficult. Apparently there were some "invisible" pixels that expanded the layer, resulting in abnormously large glows. I have no idea why they were there, why I didn't get rid of them and why I finally got rid of them. I used the eraser all the time, no difference that I could see. Oh well.

I must admit, with every suggestion, the image looks better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC130048_4.jpg (77.3 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 03:06 PM

Having read the website you provided on Santa Lucia, I find your image much more strongly connected to the stories fact or fiction of her life. Lookin pretty good!

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 03:28 PM

Thanks Duv,

Yes, everybody around here is familiar with Santa Lucia, so it's easier to place the picture in context here.

I've learned an incredible lot from this picture and process. Maybe I'm finally ready for my Great Project, which I started a half year ago. I simply hadn't the skills back then, so I've put it temporarily on hold, but now I think there is hope I have to ask the models' permission to post it here. If I don't receive it you will never see it and I will have to trust my own judgement. Help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 04:21 PM

Rexx,

I finally hit on what bothers me about your image! It's the blue reflections in on the last 4 girls.

I went back and looked at the original, and the light seems to be coming from the top left, out of the frame. I don't know what was causing it, but it is at odds with the warm glow emitted from the candles.

I did a few corrections in PSP7. First, I selected the girls, then did an HSL adjustment to reduce the saturation of the Blues & Magentas.

Next, I did a color-cast correction, and moved the color temperature to ~4350 degrees.

Finally, I reduced the highlights and increased the shadows to get the lighting back to something more real.

I hope you like this.

-Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jch_PC130048_4.jpg (93.3 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 06:49 PM

To Jeff's point, I wonder if the blue is a remnant from your original workflow that had the vibrant blue background and "fringes" that I disliked.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 10:54 PM

You guys have an incredibly good eye for colour! I hope this is something that can be aquired, or else I'm doomed

Jeff is absolutely right, and your theory is wrong Duv, and it's actually worse than that!

I've just done what I should have done from the beginning. (Remember I said I learn a lot. It doesn't seem to stop!) I went back and checked the rest of the series...

The blue light emits from ... a blue spotlight up front. I thought all the time that the blue textile under Lucia's hand was a blue belt. No such thing. Her belt is red, just like the girl behind her. Whatever that piece of textile is, it's either red or white, but definitely not blue!

And sorry Jeff, I didn't like it because you've upset remnants from other layers! Argh! In particular the halos around the candles don't look right anymore. Back and do my homework properly Morale: Sloppy handiwork shows up under stress, not only in programming, but also in image manipulation.

Two questions for you Jeff
Q1: How do you know the temperature? Do you have a plug-in for that, or is it just a part of PS7 that I don't know about?
Q2: The red belt should be a more vibrant red. At your temperature it's more a dull red. Can I have the cake and eat it too? (Apart from masking the belt.) Or will a vibrant red be at odds with candle lighting?

I will also try to fix something that has bothered me for some time. There is something wrong with the arm of girl #3. The hair of the woman in front is slightly different in the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2004, 11:19 PM

Rexx,

Sorry 'bout "ruining" your handiwork. But, the name of the game is learning. It took me awhile to peg what upset my eyes on the picture, so I think that you will learn, too.

To answer first question, PaintShopPro 7 (PSP7) has a built-in color correction module. I adjusted the color-temperature slider until I liked the look. I am sure that there are other ways of accomplishing this in Photoshop (PS), but I am unsure how.

The second answer is that I don't think a more vibrant (saturated) red would be at odds. However, if you think about it in terms of color & light, the red of the belt would look closer to gray or white the closer the light color is to red; therefore, the color-temperature correction would de-saturated the red belt. So, I think you would have to mask it back.

Best of Luck!

-Jeff
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques