RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Is this over the top?

Old 01-27-2004, 12:06 AM

Hi Jeff,

(in-between breakfast and retouchng two rolls of old scanned films).

My musical pitch is quite good, but my "colour pitch" is lousy, so I'm grateful for every comment I can get and every tip I can receive! And sloppy reading on my side. PSP is not PS!

I had a long fight with the candle halos last night, so I don't think I'm up to that quite yet! But way to go. I'll see what I can do about the blue spotlight. Comparing my temperature to yours, it looks harsh. I also now see green in several places. Yuck. But on the bright side: I can actually see it! There is hope

I will experiment with the belt. I guess I will need external review on that one too, sigh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2004, 08:48 AM

I had to work to acquire both my musical pitch and my visual pitch. It *is* a learnable skill!

I noticed some green in the hair of some of the girls in the picture I posted, and that is from the sloppy selection I did.

Best of Luck & Learning!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 AM

To get a more vibrant red try going to Image,Mode, Assign Profile and change to Wide Gamut. It should be one from a long list of profiles. If you don't have that one, try some others. The blue in the dresses from the blue light should probably go whether you change your color temperature or not. One thought though. When lowering the temperature, you are forced to believe that all the lighting on the procession is coming from the candles. Alternatively, by keeping a cooler bluer light on the procession, maybe it works better in context with the cold blue light of the background.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2004, 12:08 PM

Duv,

I "used to" work in Adobe RGB, but switched back to sRGB for this "project", since it's meant for web. If I work in a wider gamut than sRGB, wouldn't it just evaporate the moment I do a Save for Web?

But I'm improving! I had been thinking along the same lines as you do here. There is a conflict in perceived colour temperature between the background and the girls. I had been wondering whethere there was a way to light up the trees with candlelight temperature light, but I'm so far unable to invent a "natural" (= believable) source for the light! I *might* go outside and photograph the snow banks along the road and then plant torches in it back in Photoshop. Could work, hmmm... No don't think so...

Jeff, those were encouraging words! I was afraid my colour perception was hopeless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2004, 03:00 PM

If I had my way, I'd force everyone to send sRGB to the dumpster. Color gamut of a working space is a balance between saturation and posterization (banding that you see on some web images). sRGB is a bad choice for anything, print or Web, unless you just want a very low res, I don't really care what it looks like, image on the Web. The reason I'm so harsh is that it really trashes the blue-greens in an image. I'm not sure if Wide Gamut would cause noticeable banding on the Web. You can always upload and see what it looks like. At the least, I would stick with Monitor RGB if you happen to have it in your list of profiles, or I'm sure you can download it somewhere. Monitor is good for low res images on the Web plus everything looks the same in Photoshop and your Web site. If you want a quality Web picture that could also be printed, stick with Adobe RGB (1998). This provides enough color gamut without inviting posterization. Go ahead and experiment with different profiles. Even Wide Gamut may have acceptable trade offs between saturation and banding.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques