Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First attempt at complete colorization

Old 06-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by NancyJ
I'm new at this too but I find that the CYMK method is great for getting the basic flat colours down but especially on old photographs it lacks 'life'.
It works fine on professionally taken studio images, particularly on old movie stars where their complexions were flawless and the photographs were crisp and perfectly lit but on 'real' people I tend to find that more tonal variation is needed which I add in in a similar way to the primaries method.

I think you'll find that when you start to colourise those old photographs that the colours can look very flat if you just use CYMK but its a great place to start for getting the basic colour down - which can be kinda tricky with masking primaries (wish I paid more attention in physics lol)

BTW where did you buy the rights to old photographs? I'm looking for some more practice material myself.
Hi Nancy...

You have a point and thank you for your input. Each of the tutorials suggests that you start with the highest resolution and clearest photos possible. One of the intriguing aspects of this field to me is the many different ways things can be done. Some techniques work for some things and won't turn out as well on others. If there were only one technique to accomplish every task it would quickly become a "one trick pony" and be boring.

I think I must have ADD. I have begun many things only to become bored once mastered. With retouching and manipulation there are so many possibilities no one would be able to take it all in. Danny Raphael tells about his journey on one of the threads on this site. His story inspires me to try to master the medium as much as one person can.

Another technique which caught my eye on the Worth1000 site was colorizing with gradient maps which put another arrow in my quiver. Sorry for all the cliches.

I bought the photos from a dealer on ebay. If you'd like the name PM me.

They are in the public domain and are already retouched in b/w. I got them originally to handtint with airbrush but see the potential to do it with photoshop and other software. I am sure there is an audience for both.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques