RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Army Uniform

Old 05-24-2004, 06:28 PM

Everything I found about the uniforms reinforces the color blue. Perhaps whomever colored the original took some artistic liberties?

Regarding the overlapping, I like to set my brush to a 50% hardness. Many people like to color each element of the photo on a seperate layer, which makes it easier to erase areas you don't want, or that over lap.

BonnieN, regarding the backgrounds. I pretty much guess about them. (This particular setup struck me as odd. It would have worked much better if the floor and baseboards weren't so evident.) A way to get some ideas regarding backgrounds is by looking at the company sites that sell them. This allows you to get an idea of the colors used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2004, 07:30 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Many people like to color each element of the photo on a seperate layer, which makes it easier to erase areas you don't want, or that over lap.
Absolutely! I'd like to say that's the only way to go, but we all know better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duester45
Thanks for the tip on the layers tuts, Ed. Theyre printed & I'll try them asap.
You're welcome. You'll catch on in no time flat.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2004, 05:25 PM

From a little research I did on Google I found this site pertaining to color of the uniform.

http://www.grantsmilitaria.com/asp/s...?idGallery=377
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2004, 07:36 PM

That's pretty much what I came up with too, but last night, I spent hours on the phone with a military uniform expert (retired UN guy) who said that my grandfather may not have actually been in the Swedish army, but rather a unit of the national guard or reserves, most of which were rather autonymous in their choosing of uniforms...much like during our civil war.

Here's one for the film experts: Is it in any way possible that the photos may have been tinted blue and then faded or changed because of a chemical reaction? The photos have spent the last 60 years in a non-climate controlled attic. I think not, but what do I know? I'm a drummer by trade.

I'm still waiting to hear from the Swede who will translate grandpa's military papers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2004, 08:30 AM

I don’t know if this is what you had in mind but I used Photoshop and made selections added layers set to soft light and colored with the paint bucket tool, adjusted the opacity, color balance, and hue & saturation. My colors are a little bright but you can adjust them to your taste as you go.
This was a fun photo to work with I enjoyed coloring it. Thanks for posting it duster.
Good luck to you and Otto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Otto Westlund Red & Blue.jpg (72.1 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2004, 06:47 PM

Thanks John, and all of you for your help. Your suggestions plus the Katrin Eismann book which I scored on e-Bay will help me get going on this and other projects!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2004, 09:35 PM

Thanks to all of you who have helped me here. I'm hoping that I can make your suggestions work. I have also recieved my Katrin Eismann book which I scored at e-Bay. (Already having trouble with that, but that's another thread)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 08:08 PM

Back to the Swedish Army uniform color!

Hello!!

Today, I received a photo album which had belonged to my grandmother, whose ancestors came from Norway. On the second page, I found the attached picture. Just what are the odds that these folks, possibly my great-great grandparents, were all dressed in red??? Pretty slim, huh?

It looks like maybe the years plus contact with other photos or whatever might bring a chemical reaction to pass. Anyhoo, the rest are in pretty decent condition, considering that most of them are from the 1800s. This is the only one with a glossy finish. I'm not looking forward to working on this picture at all!!

Any theories on the chemical issue??

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (94.6 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 06:41 PM

Army Uniform

The uniform should be dark blue. Look carefully at the cuffs and you will see each button is backed by a decorative bar of buttonhole lace (what the Germasn call "Litzen"). For more on Swedish uniforms, see the New York Public Library's digital collection:

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...level=2&tword=

Regards,
Mark C.
New Jersey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SwedishVinkhouizen.jpg (58.6 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 PM

Nice picture Vikki

mgconrad welcome to the forum and such great information thank you!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques