Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Please review my website

Old 05-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Wink Please review my website

Hi Everyone,

All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance. Gavin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silverlady.jpg (47.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm not a fan of "Flash for flash-sake", to be honest. I really see no point in putting up a barrier between you and your audience before they can even enter the site.

Granted, I prefer sites to be fairly accessible to those who are "differently abled." Flash is not ADA-compliant. Also many search engines cannot traverse Flash let alone index them. None of your images have any ALT-tags which is a fairly big no-no.

I'm wondering why you have your "original" image in a smaller size than those where you've tweaked them. They should really be the same size, otherwise you may be giving unrealistic expectations to a client that you can take a small picture and make it larger with no loss of quality.

You have images for links, instead of text, and again no alt-tags. If I wasn't really trying to find links to go elsewhere, I would not know that these were links.

Blue text on a black background is *very* hard to read, you'll want to change your links colors (you'll want to add a hover color and change the visited color as well to be better visible on a black background).

I'm sorry to say that viewing it as a potential customer, I would not be inclined to purchase your services.

Now, that said, your images are interesting. The layout and presentation is bringing it down though. Here are some sites where people are displaying their portfolios, etc, that might be of inspirational help. Now, a caveat, some of these are bad, too, from an accessibility standpoint, but they are a bit more visually stimulating:
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques