RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Restoring photos- any suggestions?

Old 06-18-2004, 01:30 PM

Restoring photos- any suggestions?

I was just wondering if there was any other improvements that can be made on this photo. Please feel free to play around with it. If you can see any way to improve, please share with me! Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Amber B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retouch pro.jpg (54.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Retouch Pro After.jpg (93.6 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 02:42 PM

You've done a fine job Amber! Can you tell us what you have done so far?

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 03:17 PM

Talking

Well, so far I have had to take out the Red Channel and replace it with the green channel and after that I had to basically hand color the photo by using lots of layers. I dodged and burned to get better details in the face and after that, I used a program called Neat Image to get rid of the noise only to find that I didn't care for the loss of detail, so then I took it and tried Auto Eye on it to regain some detail but still keeping as much noise out as possible. I am still not satisfied because the image seems so noisy. The only thing I can do now is go through and smooth the faces (in process of). I wish there was an easier way to smooth it out. I am also having a bit of a prob getting the right skin tone. I know there was alot more to it than that but i have worked on it for 2 days and can't remember everything. But I hope that gives you a better idea of what I have done so far. I am working in Photoshop 7 mostly, and I have worked in it for over a year. But I am still learning lots and lots. Any suggestions so far?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 03:57 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I didn't do a lot like Dreamypix. I took your corrected image, which I thought was pretty darn good for what you had, selected the background, and made a new layer with it. Lightened the background layer to make the gentleman on the right stand out a little better from the background (notice how the head blends in with the background). Then I added a layer mask, and ran a black to white gradient on it to make the top part the same as it was, but lighten the bottom part slightly. You can see the difference better if you have both images open at the same time at full size.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retouch-Pro-Original.jpg (74.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Retouch-Pro-lightened.jpg (77.5 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 06:51 PM

Thumbs down Thanks Ed!

Wow, thanks alot Ed! That was extremely helpful. I have several of these to work with and that (the blending into the background) happens to be my husbands pet peeve of all the edits so far. Now I know how to correct it!!! And yes, my hubby is my editor. He lets me know what needs more attention, and that was one of the things, to lighten the background. What I attempted looked fake. That is a great way to lighten things up. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks again!

Amber B.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 04:43 AM

Which one...

Hello Amber,

tried to get rid of the magenta cast in the left gentleman's shirt and the overall slight red cast. However, one question remains: which is "right" colour in the the right gentleman's shirt...

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retouch Pro After1.jpg (97.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Retouch Pro After2.jpg (98.7 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 10:04 AM

Honestly I have no idea. I had to hand color it and "blueish" seemed about right. I have no idea about the original. I still have alittle trouble with the color cast as well.. As I said I am still learning! I will check out the magenta cast as well as red. It seems when I get rid of the red cast, I have to battle the green cast in their skin. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Amber B.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 01:56 PM

Coming along...

Coming a long way from no where...This is where I am now...Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoothing-Skin.jpg (77.8 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2004, 03:49 AM

Hi Amber,

I've used the selective colours layer to get rid of the purple frings in the white shirt (white -> magenta slider -100%). You can also add a mask to such a layer (in the layers window click on the icon next to the small circled f). Clicking on the now appearing white rectangle in your layer, you can mask its effects by painting with a black brush on the spots you don't want to be touched by that particular layer. Or the other way around: pour the black-colour bucket all over that mask and paint with white over the spots you want to be affected (that's what I've done). Of course this is a technique you can use with any layer, not only with the selective colours. So this could be a way to get rid of any green cast in the skins too. But perhaps I'm just flogging a dead horse...

Another point is that your whites seem to be too white and the blacks too black. Any point with an RGB value of 255,255,255 or 0,0,0 contains no information any more. So, perhaps due to heavy use of curves or levels, i.e. the white shirt got almost no texture and the crinkles just disappeared. The same happened to the very dark parts of the picture. Therefore I tried to cut off the effect of curves i.e. at 3,3,3 to avoid blown out whites. But again, maybe it's just a matter of taste and you like it that way...

Btw, with the retouch of the faces you've done a great job.

Martin
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques