RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first attempt

Old 06-23-2004, 05:58 PM

Hi, as has been said the background is a little bland, probably because it is similar in tone to the skin colours, something with a little more contrast would display the exellent job you have done on the face a little better. It does look to have a slight magenta tint, at least on my monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 12:38 AM

Oh. Oh! I think I have a problem and didn't know it. We've got some knowledgable people here on this thread and maybe they can help me on Nancy's pic. OK. Here's what I "thought" I knew. Nancy's original B/W in RGB mode has color cast, at least when I check the info palette. When I convert to Greyscale, all the Numbers match (which they should). Colorizing the B/W in RGB mode will not necessarily get rid of the original color cast. Am I spinning my wheels here?? On the colorized version, the brightest highlite is the collar. It should be white. White has equal values of R G and B. The collar doesn't. Is that even important? The darkest shadow in her hair similarily shows a strong color cast. On my sample attached, the highlites have too much blue and shadows very little. So the question is, shouldn't these values be equal to have a non colorcast, hi contrast photo?
My other concern is skin tone. The only thing that makes sense to me is the wealth of information addressing skin tones in CMYK. I know there are alternatives but when I convert to CMYK and take a reading at point 3, I get readings of 30%, 40%, 48%. Now I know there are a lot of variables but according to Eismann's 2nd page 115, average caucasian should be closer to 8%, 35%, 45%. I have no problem with M & Y, only C. But Nancy says that she has already adjusted for the strong Cyan and Gary thinks there's a stronger Magenta. Sorry to be long winded but this is important to me. I've been doing this for years and maybe I've been doing it wrong. Can someone set me straight?

Most appreciated
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Grandma.jpg (75.0 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 02:10 AM

Hi, I know the jpg is in RGB but it was colourised in CYMK then converted back to RGB because CYMK doesnt show in IE and in opera everything comes out too blue.
I dont doubt your technical expertise but as for the 'average caucasion' values well the variety in skin tone for a caucasion person varies greatly but I did try to use your values and no offense meant to you but she looked like a pumpkin. Perhaps if you could explain how you take the reading and which patch of skin you used to sample the numbers I could try again.
Another reason for the disagreement over colour blanace is all moniters vary slightly, I have a flatscreen LCD moniter and colours look quite different on my boyfriend's CRT moniter.
Bear in mind that this is a very old photograph and I didnt want it took look like it was taken yesterday in stunning technicolour. I wanted a softer more artistic look.

Had you done anything to the attachment? It looked identical to mine?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 02:46 AM

Hi NancyJ,

I'm just started colorizing and haven't enough knowledge yet to help, but I wondered about Duv's attachment also.... It is different, once you download the attachment and view it in photoshop you'll see the registration marks for the areas where he's picked the colors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 03:17 AM

oooh thats funky - how do you do that then?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 03:35 AM

It is neat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyedropper.jpg (69.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 03:49 AM

Cool. Well I adjusted the colour balance to try to match the values in Duv's post and this is what it came out like. I've also attached the original so if any of you feel like haivng a go at it or using it to demonstrate your advice you can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Grandma.jpg (96.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Grandma_original.jpg (92.9 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 07:47 AM

Hi,

Here's my attempt.
Hope you don't mind... I used your photograph as a learning tool, since I'm far from comfortable with colorizing.

Converted to cmyk, ran levels, desaturated.
Colored on different layers.
Burned and cloned to fix minor flaws.
Ran despeckle, dust and scratches.
Converted back to rbg and ran neat image.

Edit: I think I made it too light, so I adjusted it in the second pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg submit.jpg (96.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg submit2.jpg (56.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by freelancer; 06-24-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 10:42 AM

I dont mind at all freelancer I hereby give permission for you to practice whatever you like on the photo and display it anywhere online for your own personal display My grandma is long since departed and I dont think she'd have minded even when she was alive

Had another fiddle around with the picture and decided to give my grandma a glamour photo Let me know what you think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glamourgran.jpg (71.1 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 AM

Thank you, NancyJ,

I like it! It keeps the photo in the right time era. I've collected all the all photos that family members don't want and many of them have that same soft effect.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques