RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Cemetery Photos

Old 07-08-2004, 12:15 PM

Cemetery Photos

I've begun a self-assigned project of photographing two cemeteries in St. Louis, Missouri.

You can view some pics here

Any feedback, pro or con, would be welcome.

!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2004, 12:40 PM

Nicely conceived. The light in some of the images is really exceptional. You've captured a mood that is reverent but not somber. I like it.
I can't find anything I would change except to add more images.

Chip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2004, 01:02 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That's quite a project! Good use of light, and good composition. Nicely done, but I think the timing on the slide show is a little long between images. Many people wouldn't want to wait that long. If you could shorten the timing, people could click on an image if they wanted to study it longer. I like the map, and the text. It fits very well. Genealogists would love it if they could find a shot of a family member's tombstone. Maybe you could incorporate some of those images into the project. I'm sure sites for genealogy would love to show your work on their sites. Now if you could just get images of all the tombstones......

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2004, 02:54 PM

Ed,

Your points are well taken. Thanks for responding.

I, too, think the timing is a bit long, and it will seem much too long as more images are added. The slide show was created by PhotoShop and tweaked with FrontPage. Ten seconds was PhotoShop's default setting.

You can, however, click on any thumbnail to short-circuit the slide show and begin with the selected image.

This is gonna take more thought...

And Chip, thanks for the nice words. I have just begun the project which will take some time to complete to my liking. But many more images will be forthcoming. (I have the fall and winter seasons to go.)

I removed the map (because of copyright issues with Mapquest). Does anyone know where I can find a map of the area which is in the public domain?

!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2004, 01:08 AM

Just a thought. Since you mentioned the beautiful garden settings of the monuments, it would have been nice to have seen some, you seem to have concentrated on just the monuments.
But as others here have said, nice work. Good luck with finding a new map, and good luck with your continuing project.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2004, 08:35 AM

Gary,

Yes, there are some areas that need addressing. I thought I'd do some panoramas (maybe in infrared?) when I find just the right vantage points and lighting.

But, I've decided to stay away from "straight images." Most of my pics have been rather heavily "PhotoShopped." It's an approach I've taken probably because of my experiences here. See attachment for a before and after example.

Cemetery photography is actually quite a popular undertaking (just try a Google search--and pardon the pun). Most of the straight images seem less appealing to me than those which have been "interpreted."

And, Gary, you're from Yorkshire? Lucky guy. It's one of my favorite places on earth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before and after.jpg (57.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by ExclamPt; 07-09-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2004, 05:45 PM

Love the picture, I'll refrain from the graveyard puns. Glad you like God's Country (Yorkshire to the uninitiated), but sorry to say its a tad wet here at the moment, and has been for a week now. Good luck with the IR pics, will look forward to seeing them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2004, 03:38 AM

Gary,

The sun always shines in Lancashire ...... now that really is God's Own Country.

Sorry just couldn't resist it
Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2004, 11:46 AM

Finally had a chance to look at the photos, really nice work! I remember both of those cemetaries well from when I lived in St. Louis, and its great to see such excellent work coming from them.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2004, 02:53 AM

Sorry Wendy, the only good thing coming out of Lancashire is the M62 heading East. But then what would you expect me to say.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques