RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Totally "green"

Old 08-11-2004, 10:06 AM

Hi Flora, just being nosey again. Why are you unsure if you can post images here ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2004, 10:19 AM

Sweet Mother of God..! If anyone in this world who asked for help received this kind of response, this would be a much better place to live in.

Thanks you all

Gary : Please, It should be me apologizing for taking so much of your time…

Patrick: Try explaining it in other than your native language. I understood you completely, just one question, you mean after all the settings adjustments, just try to “clone” the details from the one that brought up the most…am I correct…?

Christine and Gary: You are so right, I usually scan all of my pictures to a 300 and sometimes with really blurred pictures even up to 600 resolution. I don’t know why I scanned this one at 150, maybe I did but didn’t see much difference and was a concerned about the pictures weight (which I shouldn’t have). I´ll do that. By the way, I have an HP scanjet 4670 scanner, the vertical one so you can scan on almost any surface. Don’t know how good it is but it works.

Flora (Angel): I’ve tried your wonderful tutorial….when I am experimenting, but never really applied it….thousand apologies (I should know better).

Back to the drawing board, and see you in a while….my dear Masters.

Mosha
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2004, 10:25 AM

Smile

Flora, just another question...did you only used your tutorial steps in the picture (whith a little bit of cloning and healing I asume) or something else...

Mosha
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2004, 05:40 PM

Hi everybody,

Gary

...If I remember well, somewhere, buried in the 'Guidelines' threads for the Critiques Forum, there was something about not posting restorations (there are the appropriate Forums for that...) but plain, honest words of critique ....

Mosha

...Thanks! .... Always glad if I can be of help ....

I used Method 1 (Curves) on the darker parts of the image and Method 2 (Luminosity Mask) on the rest (light and semi-dark parts) ....I duplicated some of the Layers created and played with their blending (Multiply, Soft Light, Overlay), until I was satisfied with 'consitency' and contrast.

I created new empty Layers (blending lighten and darken) and with a soft white or black brush (Opacity 10-30%) I lightened or darkened parts of the picture (face particularly) to even out spots and shadows or to emphasize faded areas.

Didn't do any cloning, just some blurring and smudging around face and on hair.

P.S. I'm off to Germany tomorrow morning and from there I won't be able to log on ... but I'll be back (Gosh I sound like The Terminator!!!! ) in Italy on the 20th .... should you have more questions ....

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2004, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the information Flora, I did'nt know that at all. (Shows how much I read the guidelines I suppose). I'll bear it in mind for the future.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2004, 03:22 PM

Hi dear Obi Ones (am I writting this the right way?):

As the song says, “Here I go again”.
After all your wise advice and suggestions, this is what I came up with. Don’t ask me what I did or how, can’t remember but did everything in the way I understood it and experimented up to the point I felt like Dr. Frankenstein ….and like him, had some pieces left out of my creation that couldn’t remember where I took them from in the firs place .
The only advise I didn’t follow was to re-scan the original at 300. I don’t have it any more.

I must confess that I got burned out about this picture, I worked in it an overall of 3 weeks (which maybe you’ll agree is too much time to spend in a picture) and learned tons which is my intention. So for a while, I am not going to work in it though I am sure I will pick it up later. My aunt already has the first attempt of restoration, and sweet as she is, was very pleased and thankful. (and I thank you on her name).

Nevertheless I would really like your new comments and critiques to the new restoration.
Your opinion is very important and valuable feedback for me. Also tell me if I should have the new one printed for my Aunt or if it looks too fake. Tell me if you like it or hate it….tell me EVERYTHING.

I think that when you are working with old family pictures (which I consider heirlooms and antiques) restoration should respect the original as much as you can, the same you would do with an antique chair or dresser or jewelry or fine china. So I try to respect the face features as much as I can and try not to retouch so much. But then again this is my inexperience speaking.

So…..shoot….but please be kind, I am not blind folded….
Attached Images
File Type: gif julianitaniñaweborig2-2.gif (53.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2004, 04:40 PM

Hi Mosha, I think you've done as good a job as is possible with the limited amount of picture data that is available. Congratulations for sticking to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2004, 06:10 PM

Hi Mosha,
Like Gary said, "with the amount of data you had to work with", i think you did a great job. I like your dogmatic attitude about sticking with the photo. Keep up the good work.
Wayne
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2004, 10:59 AM

My most humble THANKS, to all of my Mentors...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques