RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Original Work

Old 07-18-2004, 11:43 PM

Original Work

I couldn't find an appropriate thread to place this on, so I am starting a new thread. I am including an original computer painting I recently did. I have done a few, but felt I would like professional opinions on this one. Unfortunately I have had to upload a reduced size version, and with that some of the quality isn't as good as in the larger version.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Judi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Father and Son jpeg cream800x800.jpg (85.1 KB, 121 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 12:04 PM

Judi:

I have to disqualify myself as a "professional," but if you're okay with few observations from an "enthusiastic amateur," read on! And no worries about the reduced size = loss of detail. That's understood.

Overall, I like what you've done a lot, mostly because it has absolutely no resemblance to a photo due to simplification, limiting the number of colors and hints of texturing. Detail in the eyes and especially the "wet noses" is very well done though I might tone them down just a little.

The puppy: Not sure how you could fix this, but his eye closeet to the right side of the pic doesn't seem quite right. It's a challenge, I can tell, because of the surrounding colors (mostly black).

I found the seashell-like shapes that appear the top-left, top-right background and bottom-left foreground to be distracting. I'd have preferred something similar to how you handled the foreground under the puppy's body and chin.

The digital signature is exceptionally distracting, so I'll assume when you print this you'll lower the opacity of that layer or take other steps to make it less eye catching.

Overall, this is a very strong effort, one of the best I've seen since the photo-art forum was introducted to RP just over two years ago. Well done.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 10:35 PM

Father and Son Painting

Danny. I respect and value your opinion. I have attached an altered version following your suggestions.

The background has been altered as had the pups eye. I have also toned down the noses and the signature. I hope this has improved it. Let me know what else should be done. I have only done about 7 paintings on the computer, but this one is quite different to the others, that is why I haven't shown the others even though I have won awards for them.

Judi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Father and Son jpeg 800x800.jpg (79.9 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitacat3
Danny. I respect and value your opinion. I have attached an altered version following your suggestions.

The background has been altered as had the pups eye. I have also toned down the noses and the signature. I hope this has improved it. Let me know what else should be done. I have only done about 7 paintings on the computer, but this one is quite different to the others, that is why I haven't shown the others even though I have won awards for them.

Judi
I'd say you have taken this from great to exceptional, Judi. I can see why previous efforts have captured rewards.

Only seven computer paintings before this one? How much better can you get, Judi? You should be teaching your techniques. Really.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 12:50 AM

Father and Son Painting

Thankyou Danny, you are too kind. I am very flattered with your encouraging words.

Judi
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 08:40 AM

Judi

Is it possible to see your other works? Also, I can't seem to access your website.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 09:57 AM

Judi, your Poppa dog is right on. Baby seems to be struggling a bit. It is awfully difficult to get highlights to look right on a black subject. Hard to photograph too.
Did you use Painter? I've just started to wade thru it. Whole lot of STUFF.
Ya' done good on the dogs.
kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 03:36 PM

Duv,

Sorry about the wrong site addy. I don't know why it had the au on the end. You should be able to acces it now. Go to www.finchcity.com It hasn't got my artwork on there. I am an aviculturiest and it has a lot of my birds and photography on there. I am about to revamp it so keep that in mind.

I am also in the progress of putting a portfolio website together so until that is ready for public viewing I can show you some other works on here. Due to the upload limit I will only be able to do one at a time. This attached image is my first every computer drawing. I entered it and a couple of others in a show in the computer art section, but the silly steward got his nose put out of joint because he also draws on the computer and had failed to enter any. He later admitted he bought a Adobe programme 8 years ago, but he hasn't opened it yet.....DOH!!

Anyways the steward went and moved it from the computer art section and put it up against actual paintings and lo and behold it took second. That showed him. LOL! Please excuse the signature. It wasn't on the original, but it is too early in the morning to remove it.

Enjoy!!

Judi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman.jpg (75.7 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 03:42 PM

Kiska

Thankyou for your kind comments. I did have a rough time with the pup. I didn't use filters. My preferred tools are airbrush, softening tool and the smudge brush with different types of brushes. I also work with many, many layers. This enables me to manipulate and work with any section at any time without disturbing the other areas, especially when you are working with the smudge brush. For example, I might want to smudge the father dog near the pups back. Without layers I wouldn't be able to do this without affecting the pup itself.

I have just managed to get quite a few accessories for the impressionist filter, but until I fully get the hang of it I am reluctant to use it in my paintings. I am a bit of a perfectionist so until I am comfortable with things I won't use them in a serious fashion.

What 'Painter' are you referring to. I might know it as something else. Us Aussies tend to use different terminology sometimes.

Judi
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 04:34 PM

It's Corel Painter 8. I have a mac, so I don't get to play with alot of the plugins.
kiska
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques