Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique, please.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Critique, please.

Have a look at a couple of pictures that I recently did.

I think the pictures are a bit dark. They look fine on my LCD monitor at home, but at work, they're a bit dark.

How do you like the pictures? I did some post processing.

On the first, I made it black and white except for the red roses and the for the second, I used the crosshatch filter.

What else can I do with the pictures?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Amy,

When you said you recently *did* the pictures, does that mean you actually made the photos? Here's my 2 cents -- I've seen the copyright and the name of the holder across the image as you have here. My personal opinion is that I find it distracting (way too large), but if it is to be used as an introduction for other photos, it works OK. Now on to the photos themselves. I like the cake, but it doesn't really evoke feelings the way the sax player does. Common sense tells me my eye should be forced to the candleabra, with the bright flame against the dark wall. But the gaze of the piano player certainly leads my eye to the sax player. I think this is a very strong composition, and not too dark for me. There is a lot of feeling in this photo, and it becomes very moody. I *really* like it! Keep 'em coming!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 PM
These pictures were photographs I took last weekend at a wedding.

Out of all the pictures I took, those two were the ones I liked the most. And I didn't really do much to change the photos except for what I mentioned in the first post.

Should I put copyright my name? or copyright business name?

Maybe I should make the copyright smaller. I've just heard so much about people stealing images, so I'm a bit wary . . .

Thanks Ed, for your comments. Appreciate it.

The musician's picture was my favorite. When I saw them in that corner with the light coming in through the window like that, I had to take some shots. And their pose works great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Wedding photos

The cake on my monitor looked just fine. It is a strong composition with good lines and colors. The other one was, as you said, way too dark. I could barely make out the bright spots...not even enough to tell what the photo was about. Whether you print the photo or paste it on the net will depend how you tweak it so that it can be seen. From what I could tell, the colors would be deep, rich, and warm.
As to your watermark. Go for it if you are pasting to the web. Of course, when you actually print the pics , they will not have it on or maybe smaller and in a corner?
Good work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi Amy,

Two very nice ideas you have there but (got to have a but, or this wouldn't be critique) I'm thinking you may have tried too hard.

The cake with roses seems to have too much "roses" and not enough "cake". Maybe a little less color on the roses, perhaps a little more contrast on the cake - would balance it out.

On the second photo. As Ed_L said, the gaze of the piano player is the strong point of the image. So you could focus on that, or better make the viewer focus on that. The balloons and the little gift box on the floor are distracting and don´t seem to fit in with the "mood". The very dark corner / very bright window constrast leaves the viewer peering into the shadows looking for the piano player and then squinting to find the sax player.

Posted an image to demonstrate...(don´t know if this is allowed in here)
Here´s what I did:
- Straightened up the windows and walls (Transform)
- Lightened the shadows slightly (Curves)
- Cropped to take out distractions - balloons, giftbox and half the window.

As to the copyright stuff, don´t have much experience, but IMHO nobody´s going to be able to use a small sized webphoto like this for anything very important. Now a full-sized proof...that's another story.

Hope I didn't offend, just trying to help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Musicians-byRo.jpg (97.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by byRo; 09-02-2004 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to say what I did
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Hi Amy!

I like yor pictures,
if U'll print it i suggest to make selective color correction on the roses because it contains a bit too much cian. now: C:23-35% ideal 10-18%
make more selectiv corr. on shadows try to set this values to black:
c:71%,M:69%,Y:70%K:ok <(picture should be in cmyk mode for this corr!!)
i think its bit dark change color mode to Lab selest L channel and adjust the shadows. Loose some black from 100% to 97% so make it lighter and do the selective correction as the cakes

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques