RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Restoring a photo taken about ten years ago

Old 11-02-2004, 12:16 PM

Restoring a photo taken about ten years ago

The left side image is a requested one at an open retouch & restoration bulletin.

As you see, it's been kept carelessly and (years ago) scanned image's quality isn't good. But he(requester) said that he can't afford to scan it again.
By the way, he want her (in the photo) to have come out well (splendid(?) colored, more vivid colored)

And the right side image is what I came up with.

The middle one is a reference image (I wasn't awared of mottled area on her left cheek until I've applied some curves adjustments as overall brightness/contrast correction.)
Anyway, I think the flaws can't be found easily to a operator. So I would be appreciated to hear your comments, critics and so forth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_woman_before.jpg (88.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg a_woman_mid.jpg (65.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg a_woman_final.jpg (85.3 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 02:39 PM

You did a very nice job. I agree with your decision to remove the distracting images to the left and right of the picture.

The only thing that caught my eye, was her left eye seems a touch crosseyed.

But overall I would have to say it is an excellent job.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 10:46 PM

Hey Veni!

Haven't heard from you in a while! Given the fact that the hair is blown out black and given the fact that the color is blown out in red highlights, I like what you did. The skin seems smooth and natural, the tone seems to me asian (although you know better than me).
You may want to consider spot correction on areas like the teeth to make them whiter but it all looks very nice to me as is. When it comes to highlights and shadows, sometimes doing too much can be harmful. I think you came (vici) to the right choice.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2004, 10:57 AM

Long time no see~
It's good to see you around again!

* Noelf - Thanks for pointing out the eye part. That part needs some finishing touch.
In fact, after dodging and burning and applying curves as if painting eyes from scratch...I can't find some remarkable enhancement on my screen.
Maybe because those pupils are blown out black?

* Duv - Thanks for remembering me. Of course I'm much appreciated for your critic. Yes, she is a korean as I am.

What do you say to that...if I copy eye part from other photos, then combine them?

p.s. (1 hours later...^^;;
I've tweaked her face color with weak layer mask(luminance mask)
and borrowed eye parts from a children photo then combined them.
What do you think about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_woman_final_color_tweaked.jpg (86.9 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2004, 06:19 AM

I am sorry venivedi, but I do not like the image on the right in your post, I could be wrong on this but why did you decide to duplicate the right part of her nose? It makes the image look very unnatural due to lighting. Also I think the colour of her face is a little un natural. I say these things because I believe restoration is about getting as close to the original image as possible, what you have done with the eyes does not suit my taste, it's very hard to explain but her face somehow looks lopsided now.

However, I am impressed with what you have done with her right cheek in your final post.

I had a go at this image and this is how I think the original might have looked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asianproject.jpg (90.8 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2004, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrtun
...but why did you decide to duplicate the right part of her nose? It makes the image look very unnatural due to lighting....it's very hard to explain but her face somehow looks lopsided now...
Thanks for giving me your outspoken comments.
In fact, I coudn't afford to(?) restore the part around her right nostril, I mean ...some mottled and wrinkled area, 'without changing sort of face contour.' So from the left(?) part of her nose I made a duplicate with layer mask. Then a curves adjustment layer(group with previous, for dodging and burning) was added to make the part somewhat seamless. That's about it.
By the way, could you explain 'looks lopsided' more clearly, when your idea has a concrete shape(?). I mean it and thanks again for your comments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2004, 11:52 PM

My attempt

vinievedi,

This is what I did:

1.Curves adjustment layer
2.Hue/saturation adjustment layer-here I sampled and toned down the yellow/orange in her skin and the cyan background
3.Using a soft, low opacity brush painted the highlights smapling colors from nearby areas. I think my opacity was around 18%
4.Final thing was to get rid of the highlight on the left of her nose-I think I might have overdone it on the nose. I don't know-it's late and I'm tired!

imrtun: I see where you are trying to go with your attempt but I think you went too far in the other direction. Her eyes are lost and her skintones are garish! restoration to me is about keeping true the original but also making subtle improvements that look natural. It is a delicate balance.......You did a good job though and I totally agree with the observation you made about her nose.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_woman_final_color_tweaked.jpg (98.9 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2004, 12:38 AM

Personally, I haven't found any skin tone adjustments as close to as natural as Veni's. One is way too yellow and one is way too red. Look at the upper lip. With such strong highlights and shadows on the face, I think I'll defer Veni's interpretation of Korean skintone, even as he admits to some tweaking adjustments.
Veni. Although I think some corrections have been taken a teeny weeny bit too far..what was the requester's opinion of what you have done?..or have you showed him?

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 AM

First of all, thanks a lot...imrtun & PixiePirate for giving not only your opinion but also your outcomes. It helped my understanding about your comments. Thanks.
Well...Duv, I've showed these images to the requestor. He liked the outcomes by the way...I think he felt little lack of splendor and vividness in them but coudn't explain in words.
Though this restoration work was gratuitous, that's my unsettled question. ^^; Thanks for showing your interest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2004, 05:15 PM

That's a really smooth job on cleaning up the damage. You could probably go further in making the image more colorful/glamorous. Here's the image with a blurred overlay layer and color adjustments, some detailing and a little airbrush work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_woman_tzecnew.jpg (62.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by tzec; 11-13-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques