Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique First Colorizing

Old 11-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hello Kurt,

Today I'm using a monitor that is more correct. The skintones in the face look great! But I think if you take a reading from them to compare with the legs, you'll see a difference (I didn't do that). The color cast looks like it remains a little in that area, and maybe a little less on the arms.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2004, 11:02 AM
So today it's back to work, and I'm able to look at this for the first time on a CRT monitor. Wow - what a difference! It is very easy to see the green cast in the first version. Overall, the image appears muddier and less bright than when viewed with my laptop's LCD display (which I've always been very happy with).

I checked the gamma calibration of the monitor, and it seems to be right on. Guess I need to do a gamma correction for my laptop display - although it seems I have less control over this than with a monitor. Does anyone know if it is even feasible to accurately calibrate a TFT LCD display for this kind of thing? May be a topic I should put in a different forum....

Good point on the whites Dave - I was concerned about making the whites unnaturally bright, but now I can see there's room for improvement there too.

Thanks for all your help,
- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Thumbs down Nice work

Nice work, I like the color choice on the dress. Did you consider using a layer for the collar, making it white lace ? The eyes seem to jump off the screen a bit too much and appear almost purple. All in all.....good work.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Thumbs down

Welcome to RP! Great job for your first time. I have nothing more to add that hasn't already been said.

As for your laptop monitor though, I know from experience that they always make things appear on the cyan/blue side and no, there isn't anyway to correct that that I have ever heard of. It has something to do with the LCD-I read ina magazine once that LCD monitors are the WORST for trying to do this type of work. My only suggestion is try to find out how "off" the monitor is so you can always correct for that by adding more magenta or red or whatever it takes. It will probably look wrong on your laptop but should look great on calibrated monitors.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Mark, Mindy - thanks for the comments. I noticed the eye color problem too while viewing it on the CRT.

Mindy, I've been doing some research on the CRT vs. LCD question (found a little more info in the Hardware forum) and you're right -- it just isn't practical to do this properly with an LCD display. My plan now is to buy a CRT monitor, calibrate it, and take another crack at colorizing this image. Also, I'll then be viewing all the other wonderful pics on this site as they were intended, and not with a pinkish/magenta cast, as I see them now. Without this post, I probably would've gone a long time before realizing there was a problem!

Thanks again,
- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Very interesting thread this is. I've read it at a stretch.(?)
Nice work, kschulz. I think you made great improvement on bringing her photo to life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2004, 06:18 AM
great job kschulz

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Imrtun, Venivedi, Heathrowe - Thanks for your great comments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2004, 01:06 PM
I like your first attempt. It has that old postcard look to it. Good job!

Also, the image itself is perfect. The expression on your mom's face, positioning, angle . . .nice.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques