RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique First Colorizing

Old 11-06-2004, 05:19 PM

Critique First Colorizing

I only recently found this awesome site, and this is my first post...so greetings to everyone! Although I've done several restorations for my wife's genealogical consulting, this is my first attempt at colorizing so I am very much a beginner. Any constructive criticism would be very much appreciated! My hope is to learn colorization well enough to offer this as an additional service.

I used PaintShop Pro 9, starting with some minor restoration then using the techniques described in a tutorial suggested in this forum (thanks for the tip, Flora!). I realize many of you use Photoshop but I was able to easily apply the same methods with PSP9. What I liked most about this technique is the use of masks to control the application of color. It is quite forgiving, allowing you to experiment easily to get the desired results.

The original is a photo of my mother as a girl. Please give me feedback on any improvements so I can make mom proud

- Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom_before.jpg (76.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Mom_after.jpg (62.6 KB, 135 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2004, 05:49 PM

Thumbs down

Wow you really did a great job! The skin tones are great
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2004, 07:03 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I think you did an excellent job for the first time colorizing. I'm looking at this on a monitor (my wife's) that hasn't been calibrated in quite a while, so what I'm seeing might be wrong. The skintones look a little on the green side to me. Everything else looks great! Here is a thread that has a file attached for Bruce's skintones. It comes in very handy at times, and it's worth downloading. Look for my post, which is about the 4th or 5th post down in the thread. Welcome to RP to both of you!!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2004, 08:33 PM

Ed, I'm not seeing the green in the skintones on my screen - but you raise an excellent point. I did this on my laptop, and now I'm thinking I should've viewed it on a calibrated monitor, which I'll do asap. Thanks for the comments and the link to the skintones chart - I've added it to my 'toolkit'.

Dakota, thank you for your encouraging comments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2004, 10:13 PM

Ditto the greens.

Other than that, you did an excellent job on a difficult subject. The dress is especially well done. Good work.

Genealogy? Me too! Keep up the research!

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Does that mean you see the green cast, or not? Maybe we should start up a genealogy forum here. It has caught my interest too!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 11:25 AM

Hi Kurt!

Pretty good job! If you are going to be doing quite a bit of this type of work, a highly recommended book is Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration and Retouching. To be honest, I haven't a clue how to get good skin tones in RGB and always change this task to CMYK. I believe you can do this in Paint Shop Pro. In Eismann's book, she recommends equal values of Yellow and Magenta and very little Cyan for Caucasian babies and young children. You might want to try 7, 40, 40, 0 or if sticking to RGB try 215,171, 142. That should eliminate the yellowish/green cast.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 09:44 PM

Fixed?

Ed, Janet, Dave...

Thanks so much for the feedback! Following your suggestions, I created a new version by reducing the yellow to eliminate the green cast, which I believe is better. Please let me know if you think this is an improvement, or if other adjustments are needed.

Dave, I've seen recommendations for Katrin Eismann's book elsewhere on RP - I'll certainly be adding it to my library. Thanks for the tip!

- Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom_after2.jpg (75.0 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by kschulz; 11-11-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 11:51 PM

Keep in mind too that the shoes and collar should be white or a least high equal values of R,G & B.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2004, 06:28 AM

I haven't the faintest idea on how to colourize, but to me that looks fantastic. Great job!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques