RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Wanting opinions here please

Old 11-18-2004, 01:36 AM

Smile Wanting opinions here please

I am doing this as a gift for a friend of mine for her wedding. They want a 5x7 pic and are going to put a wide matt around it that the wedding guests will sign and they will later frame. She said she was using gerber daisies for her flowers but not sure what colors so I used a pic of a Gerber to make a brush to make the background. I am not really aiming to make it look as though the background were really there, but would love to know how I could do that. I know there are a few selection issues on the right side - the back of his shirt, but other than that - anything you guys see needs fixing?

Thanks -

Dawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wendy-and-orig-for-web.jpg (98.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Wendy-and-hubby-5x7bkweb.jpg (91.0 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 02:13 AM

Hi Dawn, I've added a drop shadow to help the couple sit into the background. Not sure it improves it, but thought I'd throw it in as a suggestion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wendy-and-hubby SH.jpg (96.1 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 11-18-2004 at 02:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 09:51 AM

YES! lol I think that is exactly what it was missing. Thank you. Could I get a step by step? Please?

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 03:13 PM

I noticed a halo around the skirt and pant section. Probably remnants of the extraction. Also, I like the girls complexion but wonder if the man might find his skin a little too smooth and perfect. Just a thought.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 03:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Well, I was going to say exactly what Duv said. Overall, nice work though.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 05:21 PM

I think (at least on my monitor) that the whites of their eyes and their teeth are too brite. To me the rest of their faces are kind of low contrast, then the whites are almost blowen out.

I say this from experiance, it is really easy to go to far when doing eyes and teeth.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 07:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I say this from experiance, it is really easy to go to far when doing eyes and teeth.
Mike
I absolutely agree with that statement. Very easy to overdo it. But they didn't look bad on my monitor, so I downloaded the picture so I could check the numbers. The eyes appear very acceptable to me, while the teeth are brighter, but still OK. I think the brightest reading I found was around 243 or so. That's pretty bright, but not blown out (but very white teeth). The white shirt might have had a 255 reading in a place or two, but not overall.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 08:04 PM

Thanks for all your comments. I agree about the teeth but wondered if it was just me really - hence the post - lol. But I was pretty happy witht he eyes. I used the diffuse glow filter on this image, and have never really used that before, only played with it. She liked the soft look of it that it had before the glow was added, so I will just have to wait and see what she thinks now. Again, I appreciate all your comments. Beginnig to think I should post stuff more often.

One more question - whats the best drop shadow tutorial around? And do you think it adds enough to the pic to mess with it. I like it with the shadow, seems to make it kinda pop more, but I like it too without so what's ya'lls opinion here?

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2004, 02:26 AM

Hi Dawn, Sorry I'm a bit late coming back to your request for info. Guess it's down to the time difference thing.

To create the drop shadow I did the following.

Select figures and copy to new layer. (You've probably already got them on a seperate layer, in which case its even easier.)

Copy Figure Layer. (You should now have 3 layers, Background, Figure, Figure Copy.)

Select middle layer and colour figures black using Paint Bucket.

Blur now black figures with Gaussian Blur, (I used a radius of about 8 pix, but blur to your own taste.)

Reduce layer opacity. (I usually find about 35% works.)

Distort and move shadow using Free Transform tool.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2004, 10:26 AM

Thanks Gary. No apology necessary, I don't expect you just sit there waiting for me to ask a question - lol. But I figured it out last night. I feel so stupid I have been meaning to ask about layer masks, how you can make a selectoin based on that. I cannot tel you the number of times I have forgotten to save a selectoin I used in a mask, and I just last night figured out how to do that. So I used the mask on one layer to make the selection and filled that with black using the fill command, basicly what you just said. Blurred and reduced and all that. I was very happy with it. Will go back in a min and get it ready to post here so you all can see my final. I also reduced that glow a good bit, and masked some of it on his face and shirt. Her mom came a picked it up this morning, and I will hear from her in a bit - may add text with wedding date or something like that.

Thanks again for all you guys' help!

Dawn
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques