Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Some input on this pic.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:26 PM

Some input on this pic.

I'd like some input and sugestions on this photo,
Thanks,
Vinnie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA_web.jpg (97.1 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2004, 03:54 PM

You've done an excellent job of cleaning up the photo. Very clean work.
However, there are two things that take away from the fine work you've done.
The coloring does not look natural. It seems as if there is color information in the original, but the restored version looks colorized. Perhaps that was your intention? Even so, it does seem too yellow.
The other thing is, it looks over processed. I'm not sure what method you've used, perhaps it could be from over sharpening the image. There is a soft portrait quality to the original, that is lacking in the restored image. The restored version seems harsh. It almost looks as if some artistic filters were used.
I hope you take this critique in the spirit it was meant. You've done a lot of work cleaning up the image, and skillfully tackled the hardest part. It's so close.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2004, 05:11 PM

Thanks Vicki,
I always seem to over-do, see if this looks any better. I appreciate the kind words and comments. Any help is appreciated. I went back and removed some of my excessive adjustment layers. I also went with one click blue in variations to offset the yellow cast.
Thanks,
Vinnie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA2_web.jpg (91.4 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2004, 07:15 PM

Vinnie, overall you have done a wonderful job on this restoration. I do notice a couple of things:

While the right side of the picture (her arm) had a yellow cast, the left arm looks very red. Correcting the yellow made this even more noticable.

The shadows on the backs of the hands and wrists looks harsh and unnatural to me. They seem to end too abruptly and make the hands look "flat." I think the shadows look almost like dirt...maybe too dark?

Her chin seems to have lost some of its natural "roundness" and looks flat, especially where her hand is resting.

The highlight on her forhead looks as if it might be a tad over bright, as it caught my attention first thing.

And, a general comment on the original, not your restoration: where is the band of lace on her left sleeve? LOL! There is a band of lace or ribbon on her right sleeve, but none on her left, which just struck me as odd.

You have made great progress on this work and it is much improved over your first attempt. Very impressive!

Please take my opinions in the spirit in which they are given, which is to be helpful and honest. I am trying to be more critical and observant when it comes to my own work which I find translates into noticing small details in everyone's work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 PM

Ditto Vicki, ditto Frannymae - wonderful job.
I'm sure any client would be very, very happy with the result just as it is.

BUT, as the tiny-little-details session is open....
- The original table was some sort of shiny granite surface, you substituted that with a felt-like texture. Seems to be lacking some shadow under / around the right elbow - I'm not even sure where, but something seems a bit odd there;
- On the nose, slightly above the eyes there are two angled parallel lines. I don't think they really should be there and my eyes jumped straight to them;
- More lines on the left side between the cheek and eyes.

But like I said they are tiny-little-details that stand out only to those who are looking for them.

Great job!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2004, 08:05 PM

Ah, and a quick plug for my little tutorial:
Skin Tone Correction - Unclipping
This fixes the bright spots on the face and also shows that the dress color is a bit blotchy.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2004, 11:01 AM

Thanks for all of the help and comments. It really helps to have someone that can see it with "fresh eyes" look it over. It's amazing what you miss until it's pointed out.

@FrannyMae - You showed a good example by pointing out the "mysterious missing lace", I have no idea what happened to it. LOL
Both you and byRo showed me a lot, I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques