Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First Post First Try

Old 12-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Hi Elsdon, just like Janet, I could'nt resist having a go with this lovely picture.
I colour corrected with levels, then created new colour blend layers and painted in colour to background and girls skin. Then cloned out blemishes. Then ran through Neat Image, lastly copied to new layer, sharpened using USM, applied hide all layer mask and painted in sharpness to eyes and brows using soft white brush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LittleTrish B&A.jpg (77.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 12-28-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Janet. Thank you for the compliment. I was trying to adjust Els corrected copy but feel the end result left the girl looking doll like. I'm beginning to question the value of a soft filter on a young girl. If you are trying to create a dreamlike quality, that's one thing but aren't soft filters generally used for adults and seniors to help conceal the "ravages" of age?
I'm also questioning traditional color correction protocol, at least on this pic. Whether I corrected by Levels, By the numbers, White Point, whatever..I couldn't find enough left over in Curves to properly balance out the skin. So I worked somewhat in reverse and first concentrated on the skin tone. Working with Levels and Info, I adjusted until I got what I think is reasonable skin tone: 10% Cyan 28% Magenta 32% Yellow 1% Black. Of course it depends where you take your reading. Once you have the skin tone and hopefully hair color that is close to Els rendition, then you can focus on background, foreground and clothes. Any thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Girl1.jpg (95.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Wow, You guys rock!!!
There is not one in the group that I would turn down if I were a customer.
I do know that I went overboard on the whites of her eyes but I can fix that as I did cleverly save the pic as a psd as well. I don't generally mess with whites ever and don't know what compelled me to that this time.
I now have an armory of ways to adjust the color as well as the knowledge that I have sooooooo much to learn.
As for the softening I guess I give everything at least of touch of "softar" even my wildlife stuff, but Duv you are right, I generally safe the strong stuff for just that or for glamor shots.
Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques