Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique My Website

Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Exclamation Critique My Website

Hi yall...

I have been working on my website for a while. Whenever I am finishing, i think of something new and do it all over again, so it has taken quite a while, he he he . Anyways, wanted to see what you all thought about MY WEBSITE!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2005, 09:52 PM
To paraphrase my reply to your 1st post in the photo-art forum, your artistic talent is very impressive as is your website building skills.

In asking for feedback, it would help to know what your goals are for your site, e.g, are you:
* Trying to get business
* Wanting to display your website creation prowess
* Displaying your art/photography other words after someone visits your site, what action (if any) would you like them to take, e.g., contact you for some web work, photography or graphic design? Tell a friend? or what?

(Knowing this will help target the feedback.)

- - - - -

Just a matter of personal preference...

If someone was impressed with the following page and sent it to a friend ("Hey, check this out... It's pretty cool!")

After eyeballing...

...there's no "home" link anywhere to enable further exploration of your site. IMO every page should have a home link somewhere.

Hope this gets the comments started.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2005, 10:04 PM

I cannot add anything further to what Danny has already mentioned.

I find the site a great browsing experience. The elements you have incorperated are IMHO a breathe of fresh air for your standard web browsing.

One point that Danny mentioned about 'What people want' from your website...i can see what he is getting at, and i am sure with a little more work, you can arrange the site in such a manner that both the casual browser and the 'person looking to do business with you' person can equally enjoy the experience.

I found it to be clean, bright, innovative and well presented and i am sure you will have great success with it.

I sure hope you stick around, i would love some of your skills of rub off on me
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 06:39 AM
Red face Hi

Your website is impressive...

If a person has dial-up i would advice them not to go look cos that would take ages to open up.

Also your ideas are inspirational but i found the pictures alittle too large, i like looking at sites that are one screen and half size anything else is a waste.

You need to put the contact button somewhere that it won't go amiss otherwise it be a site they will look at and it will be overlooked, cos there are alot of people that offer the goods without all the frills and if a person wants the work done they are not going to go through pages of frills to get a job done...

Try making it alittle more easy to access, my brother is a businessman and his tips are try make your work easy on the eye, if its too fussy then it will be time wasted, and my brother would say time wasted is money wasted!

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 08:48 AM

Thank you guys for the comments and critiques. Very professional forum huh? It definitely isn't the regular, I like or hate UR website, but is cool comment. That is great.

What I intend to do with the website is the following. my website is my portfolio. I will mainly use it to show agencies what i do, photographers and make up artists. Those are my goals. I personally dislike flash, not hate it, but dislike it, but i needed it to do what i wanted to do. Even with flash I am limited, considering i learned it with my own website. I knew very basic stuff, now im a little more advanced, but not enough to know exactly how to make the website lighter. I think i have taken big chunks out but, for example if U try looking at the Business Cards in here it could become a pain in the butt even for people with high speed internet. I honestly don't know how i could get it lighter and keep the quality. I can't afford having crappy quality in such clean website, specially when it is showing artwork. So that also answers why the images are large. The contacts page i am working on right now. It is going to be links and information to other photographers and make up artists, not just my information. So for now it is my email, but not when it is finally done. As for the photo.html....I gave up on that page because i have very few GOOD pictures, so that one might take a while, but i had started it and well...there it is lol

I gotta head out to start off the day. So i'll see you guys around
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Great site Dennis, despite my dislike of Flash (I'm on dial up) it was still well worth the time and effort to browse your site. Good luck with your future endeavours, if they're as good as your past work I look forward to seeing them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2005, 12:14 AM
I think your web site looks great. I have to agree with the others on their commints. Im working on redoing my website and yours gave me alot of ideas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2005, 05:18 AM
OK... now that I understand your goals, I'll be more specific...

On the use of the camera to display your photography:
* Novel idea; very imaginative.
* Right-click to zoom is not intuitive.
* Cursor movement to scrool is not intuitive.

This page does a better job illustrating your website development skills than your photography portfolio.

On the graphic arts example images, while impressive, are you sure you want to use "angry faces" to illustrate your skills? I might be more inclined to use other examples that don't come across as so creepy. Just my opinion.

re: "Contacts" label on the globe.
Should be "Contact".

At some point as your business grows, perhaps a page of references or "satisfied clients" would be appropriate to refer potential customers to previous customers.

You are obviously very talented in many dimensions, Dennis. Good luck as you continue to make progress.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Artistically, the site looks really nice. Very creative and unique.

One thing that may be discouraging to visitors would be difficulty finding a particular page. There is a lot of "mystery meat navigation" used throughout the site, which, for those who don't know, is the use of links which a user will not know the target of without either rolling over them, or worse, clicking on.

Since the site doesn't appear too broad or deep, this might not be too big of a deal, but if you plan to increase the size of the site or hope to use the site as a tool to make money, you may want to make navigation a bit more intuitive.

You may also find that your site will not be indexed well by most search engines, due to the limited use of HTML text, and the heavy use of Flash and graphic text. You might want to consider adding HTML text links to the pages in addition to the graphic ones you have.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I love your personal logo!
Your handling of Flash is really great.

You have a diverse portfolio, but what I missed somewhere was your "about me" area. Who are you? What are you about? Education/Experience? I probably missed the link, but I think it would make you more credible to have a bit of history. Your site seems very young and fresh. You need to balance that with creditials. Have people believe and trust in you.

Don't know if it helps

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques