Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Kindly critique my work - 50's wedding

Old 04-27-2005, 04:40 PM
2 months rests

Sorry, I didn't post this right away. I changed my style a bit especially on the face. And toned down the blue on my previous post.
I'm crossing my fingers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951-Wedding-full.jpg (24.3 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2005, 06:22 PM
I think you've vastly improved upon your first rendition.
I still see a few areas that could use some tweaking.
I've attached two animations to demonstrate. Mind you, I'm not saying my way is the right way, it's just how I'd do it.
In the first animation, I layered my color version over yours to illustrate the differences. In the second, I drastically pumped up the saturation for the same reason.
You'll notice that your background is pretty much a solid blue.
I would add some other colors to the background to get away from a "dyed" look. The same thing goes for the floor.
The veil on yours is blue, and I imagine you're thinking, you can see through to the blue background. Although that's true, the veil itself, wouldn't be blue...know what I mean?
I see that you've added color to the white clothes. I think it looks much better, but it's a little too uniform, and basically one color. If you'll notice in mine, there are areas of different colors. Maybe not the best ones, but different enough so as not to look "dyed" (again that word. Have you ever dyed an article of clothing, or hair? Notice how it just looks fake? That's what happens if you don't work in some variations of color.)
Keep the thought "color variations" while working on every portion of the image, and I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the results.
Sorry these are so small...size restrictions.
Attached Images
File Type: gif wedding.gif (93.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: gif wedding2.gif (96.5 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Coloring the veil

Thanks, Vikki.

I tried adding more colors on the background and on the gown, just like what you said. I thinks it's getting better and more real, if I may say so.

I just have a bit of a problem with the veil. When I added white on it, in color blending mode, in my opinion, it turned gray. How do you color the veil white but still keep it transparent?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 11:08 PM

I think you did a great job!!! ... Gone are the greys and lights and shadows are very well balanced .... You even coloured the bits of skin through the bride's lace gloves!!!
And here I go back to what I always say .... I do like trying the odd colouring in images, but it's really not 'my thing' ..... because, for what colorizing is concerned, I would have left it just the way you did!!! But after reading and seeing what Vikki suggested and did, I have to admit that adding different touches of colour here and there it makes it look much more realistic!!!

As for your problem, whenever you try to add black or white or, to a certain extent, too light or dark colours in 'color blending mode', you get grey .... If you want to selectively add a touch of 'enhancing' colour (or white or black), just paint on a blank layer setting the blending to Soft light (softer) or Overlay (stronger) .... Start with a very soft brush (Opacity 10%) and gradually add to the effect.

Hope this helps ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks, Flora. I applied your suggestion.

The problem before is that I have this "coloring book" concept of applying colors in an image. I thought "red is just red" or "green is just green".

The new upload is not perfect, but I think get the idea of what Vikki said about color variation. It gave such a dramatic result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951-Wedding-full.jpg (24.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 07:16 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I like Flora's work the best again. LOL! You all did amazing jobs. The background color is perfect if you ask me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Very Nice

Very nice.....2 Thumbs Up
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques