RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My grandparents

Old 02-16-2005, 10:25 PM

Here's my rendition which I've tried to keep as accurate as
possible but highlight the couple rather than the background.
Color correction using the layers function and modifying the red and green layeres (i.e. right hand slider in). Background slightly blurred and darkened as a separate layer.

The stories these two could tell.

Click
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gparents.jpg (94.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Click; 02-16-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2005, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click
Here's my rendition which I've tried to keep as accurate as
possible but highlight the couple rather than the background.
Color correction using the layers function and modifying the red and green layeres (i.e. right hand slider in). Background slightly blurred and darkened as a separate layer.

The stories these two could tell.

Click
Wow! I'm really impressed! That's beautiful work.

I gave my grandparents a copy of the photo in a frame (the second one). I honestly thought is was fair work. A few people here kinda hinted that it was a photo fit for a morgue! I showed the photo to my father and he laughed at it and said the exact same thing that others have insinuated. I'm sure it was the blue tint.

Now for the stories. My grandfather was a detective for 41 years, my grandmother worked for Singers (sewing machines) in Elizabeth, NJ. I only remember her being a lunch aid in my grammar school.

My grandfather has some really great memories he shares with me quite often. Sometimes it's not the story itself that is great, but the way he tells the story. Every so often, I'll bring the video camera over and ask him to tell me the one about ...

As far as me taking away the wrinkles... I thought about what some of you said, and you're right. Every day you learn something new. Those wrinkles tell a story. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2005, 08:22 AM

Morrow

Your very welcome, your grandparents have a great life to tell, why smooth it out by photography, i have a photo of my Mum who died when she was 77 yrs old, i love to see the wrinkles it tells volumes of stories...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2005, 09:03 AM

I agree with those that feel the grandparents should not be made to look any younger. It's a great photo of two grandparents, age lines, marks and all. Theres a lot of "character" in those faces.

What I did was to first improve the contrast with a levels layer. I added a color balance layer to remove some of the red cast in their faces by adding more yellow. Removed most of the colorcast in his sweater by reducting saturation with a hue/saturation layer. Finally I selectively sharpened some of the facial features (ex. eyes, mouth, nose hair).

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4498---orig---150dpi_r.jpg (96.8 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2005, 09:49 AM

Hi Alan

Hello Alan not had pleasure to meet you, so i shall say hello here...I love what you done, that is nice subtle improvements!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2005, 10:37 AM

Interesting story, Morrow.
And Alan I like the way you used to make much contrasty between the grandparents and background. Lovely(?) work it is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
Hello Alan not had pleasure to meet you, so i shall say hello here...I love what you done, that is nice subtle improvements!
Hello Legacy, its a pleasure meeting you. I have seen and admired many of your posts.

Thank you for the nice words about what I had done on the photo, it was fun and hope it gives Morrow some additional ideas.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 PM

Framing

Hi Click,

To me the darkening of the background concentrates attention on the people. It also seems to move them closer together. This hightens the impact of the image confering an intimacy between the couple. This intimacy is extended to include the viewer by their frank, foreward gaze.

The fact that you have not darkened the background right up to the couple, in my opinion, helps. It says that the darkening is a construct, a thought out idea a frame.

I like it.

Indigo
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2005, 07:36 PM

Talking Your very

Welcome Alan, and thank you for the compliments...*blush*
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2005, 10:27 PM

Based on Alan's fine work I thought I would try to balance his sweater, black area behind and the wall a bit differently..not better, just different. I would say that some of the renditions here are quite striking. It really depends on whether you want a balanced natural photo or a striking piece of art. They both have a place I think.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Grandparents1.jpg (96.0 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques