RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My grandparents

Old 02-15-2005, 08:21 AM

My grandparents

Hi all... I'm by far a photoshop expert, but here we go. I pretty much used the Clone Tool to get the wrinkles out, but I think I may have gone a bit too far. Your opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The first is the Original, the second is modified but they still have wrinkles, and the third is without wrinkles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4498 - orig - 150dpi.jpg (73.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4498 - gram-gramp-mod - 150dpi.jpg (76.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4498 - gram-gramp-mod -nowrinkles -150dpi.jpg (78.7 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 09:10 AM

Hi Morrow

Your modified rendition looks really good. Maybe you could try to bring back the blue in his eyes. Also his left eye could be brightened a bit. Your
instincts about the no wrinkles is bang on. Very, very few people have the skills to knock 45 years off someone's age...and what's the point?

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 09:13 AM

my only addition...

I think that your grandfather's teeth look too bright.Bear in mind the shadow from his upper lip.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 11:11 AM

I like the second. Strange to say, wrinkles on an old person's face make me feel comfortable(?). IMHO, to get rid of fine wrinkles and some speckles would be enough.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Morrow, welcome.
I did a quickie on your grandparents. I have found that a lot of retouching is too strong. PS can do just about anything, and people are tempted to take it 'all the way'. Old people ARE old. I think a little 'refresh' can go a long way.
This might not be enough for your tastes, but it's one approach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gparents.jpg (88.4 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Patron

Grandparents

Hi Morrow, of the two I liked the second one the best. The more agressive de-wrinkling did not look natural. Also the photos seem to have a slightly bluish cast which is not a good color for the aged if you know what I mean. Good work though and thanks for posting your grand parents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 02:25 PM

I agree with Phil that there is a blue cast to the picture. I've taken the liberty to balance the colors out. Whites are equalled out to 243, Greys to 63 and Shadows to 6. It's a little contrasty but acceptable in that the deep shadows are unimportant to the image. The correction naturally adjusted the skin tones to a slightly more magenta than yellow which I think makes sense.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-DSC_4498 - orig - 150dpi.jpg (98.8 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 03:15 PM

You guys are great... Constructive critism with suggestions and samples!!! Can't get any better than this.

I know what you guys mean with the blueish tone... After looking at my modifications, the blueish tone kinda 'seals the deal' for both of them.

Ok, why did I remove those wrinkles? Just experimenting, that's all. I wanted to see if I could do it and if it would look acceptable or even somewhat real. I actually took both photo's to Walmart to see what they would look like printed out. Not too shabby from an arms length (I have 6 foot arms)... but yeah, it looks too fakish.

I see you used a bunch of layers. I guess I have to stop 'winging' it and start applying layers to this stuff.

I'm always open for suggestions. If my work is crappy, I appreciate knowing about it, and wont take offense at all. It's the learning experience that I'm here for.

Thanks again!

P.S. Great work from both of you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 04:46 PM

Wink Hi Morrow

I actually prefer the original, your grandparents, look like they have seen life and seen a world that we have only read about, i personally think you should let the original be the original, and not glamour them up by smoothing out their skin, making them look unreal and plastic, sorry but thats my opinion, let them shine through being the originals they are.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2005, 07:22 PM

It's fun to experiment but I think you're bang on Elle. It brings back memories of my grampa talking to me when I was a kid. I'm going to loosely paraphrase him. " When I'm dead and lyin in the casket and you're lookin at me, I hope you think I look like crap..that I look used up. Cause that is what life should be all about..workin and strivin and playin hard that when you die you're all used up. If you look pretty in that casket, maybe you didn't live life to it's fullest."

There's a great dignity in the wrinkles and spots isn't there?

BTW Morrow, I'm in absolutly no way suggesting your grandparents look like crap. It was just something I loosely remember from the past.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques