RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Doodles
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Doodles Miscellaneous fun projects to help enhance your digital skills

PS Graphics - Starting from scratch

Old 02-25-2002, 09:58 AM

Mike
That's really good. I love the eyes. They seem to be staring right through you and almost glowing in their intensity. Very nice work.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2002, 02:18 PM

Thanks DJ... for the words of encouragement.
I have a few more of my drawings on my website, nothing special just some doodling.

Thanks again,
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2004, 12:47 PM

lovely things here so far (yes, i'll spoil it )

i just bought a tablet today (just graphire3... still, coool ), and still getting used to it...

i'm building a new version of my web, and part of it will be "artsy animals" gallery; so far i had just "filtered" pics of animals for that, so i wanted to add there few of my "paintings"... here's some duck or what it should have been... i don't know already
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duck_wallp_cut.jpg (18.8 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2004, 03:36 PM

I am sometimes called upon to ilustrate or draw in my job...equipped only with a mouse

One of the first projects I worked on here was medical software which needed intricate medical illustrations. Often I would be given a black and white line drawing and asked to make the chambers of the ehart or some such thing.

Actually, that was a lot of fun, and it was neat trying to use Photoshop to make realistic looking 3D objects with the right colors and textures.

So, here's something I've been sitting here doing for about 1/2 hour.

Too much to tell you each step, but I will say, like others here, sometimes it's difficult to draw unless I have a specific assignment. So this time, I envisioned a stucco room, looking out at a night sky and a full moon. Then I just started making different layers and trying to figure out what realistic stucco would look like. It's just a matter of trial and error, really.

How about a drawing challenge? With specific assignments?

Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moonwall.jpg (39.6 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2004, 04:55 PM

A vote for new category

Nice image Donna. The stucco looks pretty good. Very mysterious !

I second the call for a category just for artwork from scratch. Here is a link to another thread on a similar subject: Photoreal techniques?

...Kent
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 PM

Drawing from scratch?

Here is an image I've been working on for a while from Photo-art challenge #22. The challenge is to create a piece which is basically an airbrush painting. Started it with just a mouse in airbrush mode, trying to use masks just like with physical airbrushing. Got an Intuos2 tablet and it works better than my real airbrush [Real one has no undo command]. It's almost painless to create masks also.

I first took the original image and converted it to cmyk to get the black channel which I used for my template. [I've since decided there are better ways] There have been discussions on other forums I go to often whether drawing with a projector was cheating. The consensus was that if you created art with it, it was fine, so I consider having a good reference to paint over is fine.

I just need to finish up the blouse and decide it is done [but I have never been good about quitting on an artwork]

Cheers... Kent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airbrush1-22-web.jpg (93.7 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 12:56 AM

thanks Punch- of course now I'm looking at it and wondering why I put a big orange up in the sky LOL guess it needs some tweaking. Loving your 'airbrush', great technique on her hair!

Donna
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 10:28 AM

I like the idea of a drawing challenge...what a great what to improve your drawing skills. I'll start a thread in Doodles Forum. PM me with your ideas for possible subject matters.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 10:48 AM

JustChecking,
First time with a graphic tablet…you catch on fast. Very nice graphic image. By the way, I believe your duck is a Tern.

Dslinger,
Very nice stucco room. The wall is very realistic, but the night scene isn't as believable. Still an excellent job for only a ½ of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslinger
of course now I'm looking at it and wondering why I put a big orange up in the sky LOL guess it needs some tweaking.
Well I wouldn’t call it a big orange (smile), but a little tweaking might help (smile).

Punch,
What a beautiful airbrushed image. I especially like all the warm colors in her hair. As for that undo command, I wish many things in life had it as well (grin).

Last edited by T Paul; 08-06-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 03:37 PM

My puny contribution

I was learning to map images to objects and did this for giggles. I used a couple of maps which could have been rendered from scratch, but I realize this may disqualify me from the competition, so NO WAGERING ON THIS ONE! I did it with the Gimp so there may not be much interest, but here is a quick rundown of the steps:

1. Open the earth map I donwloaded from somewhere on the Internet (see below).

2. Map it to a sphere, size the sphere.

3. Ditto with the cloud map. It's an actual cloud map, though I don't see why a similar effect could not be achieved with some basic painting or creative use of a cloud filter. But then, it also looks pretty cool, if way unnatural, without clouds.

4. copy the sphere layer, select the sphere and enlarge it 5 pixels. Fill with white and blur. Shift it toward the light source a bit and reselect the circle (sphere) and cut it out. This creates the "atmosephere" once can see around the Earth from space. You've seen that, right?

5. Create a black layer and scatter some light points across it.

6. Add some small colored dots to represent distant stars. You might want to keep them on a separate layer. I didn't and therefore, I can't control their appearance as I would like to.

7. "Fog" some clouds on a new layer. Adjust the opacity to create that space dust you see in space. You did notice all that dust in space, yes?

8. Add a supernova to represent a nearby star/light source (optional).

There you go. Not very artsy, but WAY GEEK! :-)

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clouds_map.jpg (49.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg earth_map.jpg (38.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg earth_cage.jpg (21.0 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Mark Adams; 08-06-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Doodles