RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Doodles
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Doodles Miscellaneous fun projects to help enhance your digital skills

Photorealism Challenge: Stone Wall

Old 08-06-2004, 11:11 AM

Photorealism Challenge: Stone Wall

It was suggested that we start some drawing challenges, and I thought what an excellent way to help people improve their skills.

In this challenge you can use photos for reference, but none can be used for the actual wall. Be sure to include your steps, as this will be a great way to pick up some new techniques.

Challenge:
Create a photorealistic stone wall. It is up to you how developed you want your scene to be. It can be just the wall or you can create a whole scene around it. You can also add your wall to an existing photo if you would like, but the wall itself has to be created from scratch. Will it be a high wall, low wall, castle wall, or a garden wall. Will your wall have moss, ivy, or just stones? It’s up to you.

When you've got your entry, just reply to this thread. Attach your file to your post (no URLs, please). Don't forget to include an excellent description on how you did it.

As always, this Challenge doesn't expire, ever.

HAVE FUN!

Last edited by T Paul; 08-06-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2004, 12:29 AM

Stone Wall

How funny you would want a stone wall when I was just wondering WHY I kept this stone wall in the first place.

This "wall" is the first thing I drew when I got my wacom tablet. I did it just to see if I could and to try out the tablet itself. My reference is a real stone wall along Beckham Creek in northcentral Arkansas. My rendition looks little like the real wall. Sigh.

I tried just about everything on this drawing, doing and undoing at will. I do remember that to get the stone textures I used craclaquer (forgive spelling) and a pattern or two, which I then erased, blended, etc. to get more of a stone texture. I painted and lined. In other words, I played. It was a good attempt to figure out how the tablet and I worked together.

Have fun with my cave opening. I have another I did with the same original picture and the impressionist filter. It turned out MUCH better. Giggle.

Janet

Since I did this months ago, and it took days to do, I don't really remember all of the steps I used, however on inspection as I downsized it, it looks like I may have embossed the original and overlayed it. To be honest, I really don't remember. Forgive me if it isn't entirely hand done. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeckhamCreekArt.jpg (97.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg BeckhamCreekPics0104-018.jpg (98.1 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Janitor

Nice. The interesting thing to me was that when I was looking at the thumbnails, I thought the 1st one was the original and the 2nd was the painting
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2004, 07:58 AM

stone wall

I'm not much of an artist as you can tell; and I'm extremely grateful to the limitless talent that invented and expanded on creative photo imagery so that I can learn and experiment. Your word of praise is appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2004, 11:30 AM

Janet,

Kudos for being the first to try this challenge! Also great job "playing"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
This "wall" is the first thing I drew when I got my wacom tablet. I did it just to see if I could and to try out the tablet itself. My reference is a real stone wall along Beckham Creek in northcentral Arkansas. My rendition looks little like the real wall. Sigh.
I for one like your rendition. I like how your brush strokes help to define the angles of the rocks. The trees don't quite fit, perhaps they need a bit more detail or just more strokes to thicken them up...or just leave them out completely (artistic license).

Great job!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2004, 12:00 PM

well, since I was the one who asked, I figured I'd better comply! The challenge to myself was using brushes only without filters. So, I made this with a serires of brushes, set between 10 and 20% opacity. I did add a lighting filter at the end to get some directional light between the stones. The last thing I did was add a "sharpen more" filter for a bit more clarity.

good challenge!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rockwall.jpg (52.6 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2004, 12:08 PM

Yay anouther entry. I was beginning to think my challenge was too hard.

Very nice! So did you create your own brushes, use existing PhotoShop brushes, or use brushes you had downloaded? I like how you have light between the stones...makes me want to look closer so I can see what's on the other side.

Very impressive results!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2004, 12:21 PM

Thanks this was fun.

I used existing Photoshop brushes. I have my history set to take "snapshots" at various stages, so I made a little animation of some of the stages of the work so you can see the progression.

(this is only one corner of the image as the gif was too big to upload)
Attached Images
File Type: gif wall_movie.gif (95.9 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by dslinger; 08-10-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2004, 12:55 PM

Thanks for sharing the animation. It was great to see the different stages of development. The sharpening in the last stage really made the rocks stand out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2004, 05:55 PM

rock wall

Impressive work. These look like real rocks and make me remember Robert Frost's poem Mending Wall.

The animation was a terriffic aid in seeing the development of your art.

Once again I'm in awe.

Janet
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Doodles