RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Doodles
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Doodles Miscellaneous fun projects to help enhance your digital skills

Photorealism Challenge: Eye

Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM

Looks like I missed this one, sorry for the delayed response.

First off, nice work Amber and kudos for trying this challenge.

Nice shading on the skin and excellent work on adding depth to the whites of the eye. The shadows really give the eye realism and superb work with the reds of the eye muscle.

How to make it look more real…
Phil is spot on about centering the pupil.

Eye lashes tend to be very difficult to master. Your first problem is that you have too many. Also eye lashes usually sweep down then up and out from the eye, but yours are all sweeping to the side. This is hard to explain and will be easier to view. For a great reference source look at some magazines ads of models or perform a Google search for “eye”. You can also view stock photography web sites and look at their images for some ideas. Also try reducing the number of lashes (especially on the bottom lid) and darken the ones you leave behind. By studying eyes you will get a good feel on how lashes look and see that the lashes usually aren’t so numerous especially on the lower lid.

I realize you used the emboss filter and perhaps plastic wrap to add thickness to your eyebrows and help them standout, but it really doesn’t look realistic. Try filling in the basic shape of the eyebrow with a low opacity brown. On a new layer, using a small brush set to fade add strokes for the eyebrow hairs. You can experiment with different colors to help add depth as well as adding a slight drop shadow or using the burn tool to add some darker areas.

Finally brighten the catch light (white shine on the eye) up a bit, right now it is too subtle.

Here is a tutorial you might find useful:
Moonsphere.com Eye Tutorial

Last edited by T Paul; 03-22-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2005, 12:49 PM

OK, no one said it had to be a human eye, right? I mean there was no fine print anywhere, was there?
OK, I'm a coward, I admit it. I didn't think I could pull off doing a human eye, as I'm not an artist. And, I always loved that scene in "Jurassic park" where the T-Rex was looking through the window of the jeep, soooo... this is what I came up with.
The eye itself was done traditionally. I darkened the perimeter to give it some depth. I did the socket and surrounding tissue on four separate layers, so I could play with blending color, shadow and texture. The texture was done with the Stained Glass filter (And an annoying filter it is too! It'd be nice if you could control it more, but I'm not using CS...maybe you can now.)
Then I merged the skin layers, duped THAT layer and did a Craquelure on it, blurred it a bit and knocked down the opacity.
That's about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dino2.jpg (96.1 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the helpful advice TPaul! Heeeey...is that your tutorial on making eyes? If so, that is soooo awesome. I'm jealous! Thanks for the link and now I def see where I can improve! Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Rob,

There was no fine print and kudos for stretching your imagination…very creative idea going with the T-Rex. The stain glass filter may be a pain, but it produced a wonderful reptile skin texture. The eye itself looks a little tame for a T-Rex though. Try changing the pupil from round to more of a sharp oval. Now I personally haven’t seen a T-Rex, but the oval pupil might create a fiercer look. For examples, do a Google search for “Reptile Eye”. I’ve attached a few I found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repeyes.jpg (96.8 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamypix
Thanks for the helpful advice TPaul! Heeeey...is that your tutorial on making eyes? If so, that is soooo awesome. I'm jealous! Thanks for the link and now I def see where I can improve! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Dreampix,

You are most welcome and no it's not my tutorial, but it is an excellent one to learn from!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Another part of this wonderful site i've just found!!

Thought i'd submit this!

Just a black and white one. (seems to be easier!!)

I sketched this from a photo using PhotoshopCS.

It is mostly done using the paint brush.

Eye lashes and eye brows I find easiest using the smudge tool set to finger painting, about 95% strength. Just pull out from a dark area.

Dodging and burning here and there!
Noise added - blurred slightly then removed from the white of the eye.

I would appreciate any comments how to refine it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyeShalford.jpg (99.3 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2005, 11:29 AM

Excellent work Steve! I really like the black & white tone and charcoal texture. The eye is wonderfully detailed, and quite the piece of art! Eyelashes can be very difficult to master, but you had no problem creating them! However, something seems odd. Perhaps it’s the pupil. That’s probably because when I look at photographs of eyes the pupils are larger due to the lighting or flash. For grins, try enlarging the pupil just a bit and see what you think.

A few other things to consider:

The line around the eye area is a bit strong, like some serious eye liner was used. As a result those delicate eyelashes really get lost. You might want to thin out the thick black lines as well as try developing some gradual differences in shading to help the shadow areas stand out from the lines of the eyelid.

The white area directly under the pupil is a bit strong too. It really draws too much attention to it. Try adding some shading here to reduce the size of it.

Overall, superb work!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 10:55 AM

TPaul - Thanks for the feedback

I have taken onboard your comments, I will submit the alterations and look forward to your expert eye looking over it again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 10:44 AM

T Paul

OK here's MK ll.

I found it harder to alter than doing the original.

I studied the eye balls of photgraphs, especially lighting reflections.

What with tennis finals, Formula 1 and Live8 it was somewhat hard to concentrate, but this is what I came up with.

Look forward to your comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyeShalfordfinal.jpg (97.0 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 02:58 PM

Wow Steve! I wonder what kind of work you do without distractions (wink).

This is a huge improvement and that’s saying a lot considering your first attempt was quite good. This eye looks much more natural. The pupil blends perfectly into the iris, and I just love the glossiness you have achieved. I almost want to wait to see if it winks. I like how in this version the eyelashes don’t get overpowered by the eye lines and how you can see the corner eye muscle. My only suggestion is to thicken up the eyebrow a bit with some more hair. Excellent work, and once again...WOW!

~T
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Doodles