RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Doodles
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Doodles Miscellaneous fun projects to help enhance your digital skills

Photorealism Challenge: Glass

Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 PM

Photorealism Challenge: Glass

In this challenge you can use photos for reference, but none can be used for the actual image. You must create the image from scratch. Be sure to include your steps, as this will be a great way to pick up some new techniques.

Challenge:
Create a photorealistic glass. It can be a drinking glass, a wine glass, a vase and so on. If you need some tips there are some great tutorials out on the web.

When you've got your entry, just reply to this thread. Attach your file to your post (no URLs, please). Don't forget to include an excellent description on how you did it.

As always, this Challenge doesn't expire, ever.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 08:50 AM

frosted glass

This one is a simple try at making a frosted glass. I found plenty of tutorials for making glass, some for making glass transparent. In fact, one for making glass transparent comes with PhotoshopCS. But I wanted something different.

Created the glass shape by using the rectangular tool, and the elipse tool. Stroked both with a 1 pixel stroke.

Transformed the tumbler to a more tumbler like shape.
Merged layers.
Selected shape
Applied (and this was the easy part ) one of the clear button styles that comes bundled with Photoshop. Adjusted the settings and color of said style.
Adjusted layer opacity. Deselected tumbler.
Added a layer below the tumbler.
Added a fill color to the layer, Added a gradient to the layer for effect. Still wasn't satisfied, so I added a pattern fill. Adjusted the opacity of this layer.
Added vignette.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cup.jpg (86.5 KB, 232 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 08:57 AM

cool it seems to me like it lacks bottom, but the top half is very nicely done
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 10:39 AM

Nicely done Janet and excellent description! Also extra points for being the first to post an entry!

I like the frosted look, but agree with JustChecking that you are missing the bottom of the glass. Just duplicate the oval that you did for the top and transform and adjust opacity and perhaps hue accordingly. Great work!

P.S. I really like the pattern background...lovely wallpaper or faux painted look.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 03:16 PM

oh where oh where?

Where did the bottom go? That is the question. LOL the phone rang just as I was going to post; by the time I got back I was just distracted enough that I forgot to look and see if all the layers I needed were open. I must have accidentally flattened (and saved darn it) the tumbler without that layer. It was there in the original. I promise.

Why don't I get a life? Giggle.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 03:47 PM

I think the frosted glass is a really good idea, and I agree that the bottom looks "funny" somehow. Ah well,this isn't easy.

Take for example this offering that took me the last three hours. I did it with the GIMP. Sorry.

1. Create the bowl, stem, base and backside of glass in seperate layers and paths. Fill with white.

2. Copy and combine all the layers except the backside of the glass rim.

3. Duplicate the glass image. Select it and fill it with a nice golden-brown color (I used hex #b88432). Turn this layer's visibility off for now.

4. Make the white object active and Gausian blur (RLE) about 5 px.

5. Turn on the brown object's visibility and bump map it against the white object. Give it a depth of about 30.

6. Select the brown object and shrink the selection 3 px. Feather that selection 2 px.

7. In the Curves adjustment, choose the Alpha channel and move the anchor in the upper-right corner down to about 25%. This will make the brown object transparent while leaving a dark rim around the shape to define the edge. DO NOT CANCEL THE SELECTION! We're not done with it yet.

8. Duplicate the brown object and delete the contents of the selection to clear out the middle of the image. We are done with the selection now, so cancel it.

9. Activate the layer containing the last copy we made of the brown image. Invert the color to produce a transparent blue figure. The shade of brown you chose will determine the shade of blue that you get, but we can change that in a minute.

10. Repeat the process on the layer containing the backside of the rim. We will need to finesse it a bit with some handwork to account for perspective (this piece is farther from our eye) and transparency.

11. There is some handwork involved in patching some small spots where the stem meets the bowl and the base and painting highlights. Use an airbrush and go lightly at the ends of the stem until it looks right. Highlights need to be fairly hard, crisp and dense. (If you look really close at my example, you can see a drop of good Merlot in the bottom of the glass.)

12. Paint in a drop shadow. Clear the inside with a large, soft eraser. Reduce the visibility until it looks right.

13. Change the hue and saturation to taste.

14. create a background and populate with whatever looks natural. And don't forget a little lens effect on the background behind the glass. You may also add a reflection by mapping an image to a sphere and pasting it over the glass with a very low opacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glass.jpg (10.3 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by Mark Adams; 09-12-2004 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 03:53 PM

backtracking

I agree the bottom looks funny. I really did forget to include the layer I needed. So...I went back and recreated the glass bottom again. Hope this one is a bit more realistic.

Ditto for instructions above in first post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cup.jpg (86.0 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 03:57 PM

to Mark

I'm humbled. My "easy" frosted glass tumbler just waiting for a nice cold soft drink at the end of the day and your WOW decanter with all those steps. If there were an icon with the little smiley taking his hat off to you, I'd use it; but this one will do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 04:12 PM

Aw shucks Janet, t'wernt nothin'. The glass was pretty easy, but that cork -- THERE'S a work of art! :-)

Now, your glass looks much better, but there's this optical illusion going on so that my mind wants to see the glass from the top and from the bottom at the same time.

Would it be possible to go back and blur or "frost" or somehow seperate the backside of the glass bottom that you just added?

Do you understand what I'm trying to say (with the Dallas v. Minnesota game on in the background)?

Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2004, 05:18 PM

Mark,

I’m so glad that you tried this challenge. I hope that you tackle some of the other Studio challenges as well.

First off, you created a beautiful scene and extra points for such a descriptive explanation of your steps! The wine glass is very well done complete with sparkle and shadow. I love the marble tabletop and the cork truly is a piece of art. My one complaint is that the cork must have come from one heck of a bottle as it looks rather large when compared to the wine glass…although I have seen those MEGA bottles at restaurants (grin). Perhaps if you made the wine glass just a tad taller and wider the proportions would even out. Just a thought. Excellent entry!

I've attached a quick example of what I mean...

~T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wine.jpg (78.3 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by T Paul; 09-12-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Doodles