RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Forensic and Technical Imaging
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forensic and Technical Imaging Legal, medical, scientific, and forensic imaging techniques.

PS2 & fingerprints

Old 07-10-2007, 01:48 PM

PS2 & fingerprints

I'm new to the site and everyone appears to be pretty awsome with PS2. It's hard to find good info on using PS for forensic work. Has anyone answered any questions in regard to using PS for fingerprint work? I'd be curious if anyone had any direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Janitor

Re: PS2 & fingerprints

George Reis has a new book called Photoshop CS3 for Forensics Professionals coming out later this month. He's a leading instructor in the forensics imaging field, and it's sure to be good. Amazon is taking preorders now.

Barbara Williams has a support forum here (under Vendor Support) for her Lucas Pro software. It's very popular with forensics professionals, and has been featured on A&E's Cold Case Files.

Chris Russ is the author of Fovea Pro, one of the most respected forensics imaging suites. He posts here as jcr6 (you may need to PM him to get his attention).

We also have a few working image cops that post here regularly. Hopefully they'll see this thread and say hi.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I actually came across George Reiss's name today and sent him an e-mail. I'll keep my eye out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Janitor

I've been considering adding a forensics forum here. Your post reminded me about it. I've moved your post here as the very first one. Hope you don't mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Also check out 4n6site.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 PM

there is an excellent article in the July/August edition of the Journal of forensic Identification (Vol. 57 #4) entitled "Image enhancement and Adobe Photoshop: Using Calculations to Extract Image Detail". I've fooled around with calculations but I'm not really sure of what I'm doing. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Janitor

I see you already broke this last question out into a new thread of it's own. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM

Here is an interesting link, it might help you travel in the right direction. I used to do quite a lot of arson photography (among other things).

http://www.crime-scene-investigator....xposurefp.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 AM

The article is very authentic. I have been to it. It will give you very good guidance throughout traveling any where in your paths of life. Also you take a good reference of Chris Russ is the author of Fovea Pro. their reference will clear your way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 02:40 PM

I am sure I might step on toes here but bang for buck many of the Photoshop alone will do most anything needed to for forensic image preparation. Especially the Photoshop CS3/4/5 Extended versions.

As for fingerprint work George Reis has a great article March 2008 issue of Photoshop User Magazine. The NAPP - National Association of Photoshop Professionals is on of the most valuable assets anyone who works with Photoshop or imaging can have.

Also I personally this George Reis is one of the most authoritative sources for this type of information.

Also Lucis Art tools are great but bang for your buck there isn't anything Lucis Art will do that cannot be recreated in photoshop or using the new TOPAZ Labs software - another image manipulation library of programs which can intensify or uncover many latent parts of a fingerprint, writing document mark or unknown images.

Mr Reis's article in Photoshop User Magazine Titled "Preparing Images for Forensic Analysis" discusses the use of Channel mixer and Channels and layers and is an excellent article showing how much you can do with what you probably already have on your computer. Knowledge of your software is the first step in good forensic imaging.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Forensic and Technical Imaging