RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Forensic and Technical Imaging
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forensic and Technical Imaging Legal, medical, scientific, and forensic imaging techniques.

Working for government agencies

Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Re: Working for government agencies

Hence the reason I am here looking for guidance.

"a few hours of training", anyone can call themselves a retoucher as long as they know how to operate the basics of PS, but will Revlon hire these "retouchers" for their next campaign?

Seriously, if you don't have anything solid to contribute, then please don't. This might as well be a fantasy, you could be right, but it could also very well be a very resepctable job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM

hi,
sounds like your a young man and new to the job market....
first... you should have already have a resume setup .... if you haven't i suggest first make up a standard paper resume with enphases on graphics..
go to your publick library... they have books that covers the various resume formats for various fields..... from that.. you'll have info to fill quickly if you need to electronically send one in.. also it give you and headup info you'll need when they do request info...

note: a lot of colleges training institutions, have free courses on job hunting, this generally includes, writing resumes, handling yourself for interviews, etc...
good idea if you can find one and take it..

and don't forget to put any related info about photography .. smiling.. many time it the little details like that that get the job....

your education level will determine what rating jobs your can initially expect... so that important weather you have trade school training, or just high school deploma, etc....

now to find gov jobs...
1. if possible call the local office (or if there nearby call first and then drop by) .. there human resource department or personel department... they can give you info, applications, the job discriptions (that helps out when write up resume) ..
2. now if you can't find the specific job titles you want... look at job titles that involves phtography and graphics ...
3. another place to look at... is this gov website... read it carefully lot info and links..... http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/e...job/fedjob.htm

now this should be enough to get you started.... good luck.... one final thought... when you get a date for the interview... or when you go to the local office to get applications.... it a good idea to contact some one that is currently employed in the field there to give you heads u p on the interviews...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 阿弥陀佛 View Post
Does anyone have any idea if there are positions in the field of photo analysis & manipulation of sensitive to classified photographic material in any of the following agencies: NSA, CIA, FBI, DofD, etc?

I am sure there are cause all those reconnaissance photos let it be satellite or whatnot have to be enhanced and manipulated and analyzed to some degree for proper identification, correct?

Can anyone point the way? I have logged onto their websites for job openings and I do not see anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Jerrb, oh how wrong you are, and how suprised I am as to how people still judge a book by its cover. Althought I really appreciate your detailed suggestions, thanks.

I am 36, I have been retouching fulltime since I was 20. I took lessons using the Apple II, my first Mac was a Centris 610, 4 megs of RAM with a 30 meg HD, and I was using the first version or the second version of PS, I can't really remember. But yes, the good old days, if you even go back that far!

I have my own successful retouching business in New York, my clientel are internationally known photogs, ad agencies, design houses, international monthly magazines, doing their campaigns, their covers, their packaging, their ads, their editorials, you name it, I have done it.

Then why the hell am I here asking all these questions you wonder? I want to see if this is actually something I can go into once I am really sick of the BS from the commerical retouching world. I want to do something that can actually help mankind and not lie to them anymore by making artificially perfect women/men/people that do not exist.

Last edited by 阿弥陀佛; 01-27-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM

hi
I am sorry if i offended you, however, the way you came across initially to me...
sounded like you didn't have much expereience either graphics or the workplace , either from the enference or lack of info, and looking at other replies they didn't quite understand ..

but it obvious now from your last post that you are expereienced and have been in the work place and i would phrased my reply differently.

and by the way..... and you know this... first "impression" or "judging the book by it cover" although common cliche' ... everyone including you do this especially in business..... smiling... in fact when one does that interview... the first few words or how one is dressed can make big difference!! that common knowledge..

anyway, sounds like you really got a good resume and it will be important once you identify the job title and discription to taylor your resume and interview to that.. again if you already know this I am sorry but remember i am about probably 1000 miles away and i am not mind reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 阿弥陀佛 View Post
Jerrb, oh how wrong you are, and how suprised I am as to how people still judge a book by its cover. Althought I really appreciate your detailed suggestions, thanks.

I am 36, I have been retouching fulltime since I was 20. I took lessons using the Apple II, my first Mac was a Centris 610, 4 megs of RAM with a 30 meg HD, and I was using the first version or the second version of PS, I can't really remember. But yes, the good old days, if you even go back that far!

I have my own successful retouching business in New York, my clientel are internationally known photogs, ad agencies, design houses, international monthly magazines, doing their campaigns, their covers, their packaging, their ads, their editorials, you name it, I have done it.

Then why the hell am I here asking all these questions you wonder? I want to see if this is actually something I can go into once I am really sick of the BS from the commerical retouching world. I want to do something that can actually help mankind and not lie to them anymore by making artificially perfect women/men/people that do not exist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM

not offended at all sir, just making sure we all understand what each other is talking about
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Forensic and Technical Imaging