RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback > Forums Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forums Q&A Tips, questions, and (hopefully) answers about using the forums.
One tip/question per thread, please.

New format for viewing posted images

Old 07-27-2008, 12:18 PM

Re: New format for viewing posted images

in i.e. 7, here's how the new viewer works ( i dont know about firefox and other browsers on this):

left click the thumbnail, image will open in 'lightbox' viewer.

left click the lightbox view ON THE IMAGE will open the image to the old view (default is it will open in a new browser opening). click again and it will enlarge (if it wasnt up to size already).

left click the lightbox view OFF THE IMAGE will close the view/image and you shld be back in the same thread.

mousewheel scroll while lightbox view is on will remove the image and you're back to the normal thread view.

right click thumbnail will open your normal menu list.

right click lightbox view ON THE IMAGE will open your normal menu list for when you right click on an image

right click the lightbox view OFF THE IMAGE and it will open the normal menu list for a web page.

so, you really havent lost anything here. everything you had before for viewing is still there; there's just this one added step that's been introduced to hopefully make viewing images more enjoyable and aesthetic.

those that wish to completely bypass this feature can simply right click and choose 'open in new tab' or 'open in new window'. both shld work just fine.

also, all of the right click menu functions still work... save target as, save picture as, open in new tab, open in new window, properties, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Luckily I use FF so can centre click images (as long as I remember), if I had to work with the new viewer I think I'd quickly lose the will to live.

"If it ain't bust don't fix it" is a sentence which seems to keep coming to mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM

bah! you staid old fogeys is so fix-alated in yer ways! why, i used to walk 7 miles just... wait, never mind

actually, i had asked doug about a week ago to consider adding this piece of software for viewing images here on RP: http://www.piclens.com/ . that is one cool piece of software which i've installed in my browser already. any site which uses piclens embedded in their viewing allows for viewing ALL images in 'the wall'.

so, imagine going into one of the art threads or the gallery and opening up EVERY SINGLE PICTURE in that thread or in the gallery to 'the wall' and then being able to view ALL the thumbs from one mass wall of thumbs and being able to then pick any of those thumbs and open them in a new view.

and, to satisfy those that wouldnt have wanted this, it's an optional thing when using it. like, when i do a google image search, i can either use piclens or not because google has embedded the code for this and you simply click on a little blue arrow thing to initialize it.

pretty cool.

at any rate, i kind of like the new viewer. it's sort of like how pbase displays images and i've always liked that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Janitor

Sorry for the future shock. The lightbox is currently a barebones implementation. In future versions it will add features that were impossible to do with the old style viewing. How many of you remember the complaints when the forums went from HTML to PHP a few years ago? But it was a necessary step to allow all the new functions we enjoy today.

But we can at least now be guaranteed that every image in these forums will be viewed by everyone (everyone that doesn't defeat it, anyway) with the same neutral non-distracting background. This is the same concept currently used by Adobe Lightroom, Bridge, and many other apps, for critical image viewing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Doug, I don't know about the "neutral background" I find it more distracting to see the ghosted RTP Logo at the top of the screen and the ghosted thread behind that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-2.jpg (60.8 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Now I'm not able to open any of the posted art! Arrr..

Click on an image and nothing opens. Firefox 3
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Janitor

Try clearing your cache.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 12:38 PM

Thanks, Doug. That worked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 PM

I like the new format (seems more modern), but have been here less than a month! I use Safari and only have to click the image once to open it in a new window... No hassle for me!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback > Forums Q&A