RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback > Forums Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forums Q&A Tips, questions, and (hopefully) answers about using the forums.
One tip/question per thread, please.

Etiquette

Old 08-29-2001, 11:06 PM
Janitor

Etiquette

It's been pointed out to me that many of our users aren't experienced with message boards and forums in general, and therefore have no idea about specific "Do"s and "Don't"s. We've lucky to have a very nice group of people here, but anytime you get a large group together misunderstandings are going to happen. Here's some general tips to help make sure everyone has a good time:

Stay on Topic
We have a continual stream of new users, and if the topic doesn't match the conversation they'll never find it. This does not mean you can't talk about whatever's on your mind. Just if it departs too far from the topic of the thread, start a new thread and label it appropriately.

Post in the Appropriate Forum
Not everyone reads everything in every Forum. So to make sure your post is seen by the people that want to see it, put it in the right place so it will be there when they look for it.

Think About What You're Typing
We have members from all over the world, and with every imaginable background. Text communication does not have inflection and body language to help, so be precise. For example: tell someone when you're "just joking", or use a "smiley".

DON'T SHOUT
It's just PLAIN*UGLY

Read the FAQ
They're called Frequently Asked Questions for a reason

Use Private Messaging
If there's only one person in the entire world that will ever be interested in what you're saying, don't make everyone read it for years to come. Use PM. Also, turn on PM popup notification so you'll know if someone is PM-ing you without having to remember to look.

I'll update this as needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 12:34 AM
Janitor

I came across this online book about "netiquette", I thought perhaps it might be of interest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2001, 07:29 PM

pardon me, dear fellow, but could you be so good as to pass me the manipulation challenges?

thank you veddy much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 03:50 PM
Janitor

A couple of additions:

Lurk for awhile
This one is primarily for new users.
This is a community, with its own unique dynamic. You don't enter a room full of strangers and immediately start telling them where to sit and what they should be talking about (at least I don't).
Take some time. Read the existing posts. Try to get a sense of the member personalities. Read some more old posts. When you feel you've gotten a sense of the forum, try a trial post. Then read the rest of the old posts while you await the responses.

Read the old posts
Did I mention how important this is?
There are thousands of posts here. It's hard to imagine a relevant subject that hasn't been touched on, at least in passing. Get to know what's gone before. Don't be afraid to reply to an older post. In fact, that's an excellent way to bring it back to everyone's attention.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Janitor

Prompted by a recently revived thread I've decided to add yet another:

Critique challenges
If you've submitted a Challenge you've almost certainly benefitted, either technically or in morale, from comments made by your fellow members. Well, here's your bill for that wonderful service: visit the Challenges, even the older ones, pick a few you like (or don't like) and tell them why.

There's no need for an epic dissertation, just say what you like and what could use some improvement. If you know how to improve it, tell them, but if you don't know you shouldn't let that stop you.

Be respectful but honest. I've yet to see a Challenge entry that didn't have both good points and areas of potential improvement. And I've yet to see one that didn't deserve to have both pointed out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 03:53 AM

Basic help using the forums ...

HI Doug,

I'm don't have much experience of using forums - could you give me some advice about my recent post and a reply that I received....

Some time ago in the Resumes and Business cards I made an entry announcing my services and website: "Tom Langford is a ....", and I have received some helpful advice and comments.

My website has changed considerably, so I made another entry on 11th Nov. saying "Visit his new site..."

I got a reply: "You could of just bumped your old thread....no need to spam the boards"

Obviously there is something I don't understand about using RetouchPro's forums.

I've looked in the FAQs, and tried searching for "bump". No luck.

I'd appreciate any help.

Tom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 04:31 AM
Janitor

"Bumping" is posting to a thread simply to make it appear in the New Posts list. Usually considered rude, but better than posting the same info as a new thread (spamming).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 05:21 AM

Thanks Doug.

Just one more question:

What would have been the best way to let others know that my website had changed?

Tom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 05:46 AM
Janitor

Change on the internet isn't news, it's assumed. But if you felt compelled to announce it, posting to your old thread (the "bump") would have been the most appropriate way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 AM

Doug,

Thanks for your speedy and informative reply.

I still find it puzzling that on a thread I started in the Resumes and Business Card forum it is considered rude it announce changes to my original information.

In the real world I would feel quite at ease to send a new brochure, flier, or business card to people who have already communicated to me.

Tom.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback > Forums Q&A