Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Power Back up Systems

View Poll Results: What do you do to protect your computer system from power surges or outages?
Battery backup system 14 25.45%
Surge protector power strips 22 40.00%
Combination of both 13 23.64%
Nothing at all 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2001, 08:07 AM
Have a UPS, but am going to follow Doug's practice in the future. Our power is more prone to "sags" than surges, but we have our share of lightning during the summer monsoon. I turn off the computer when I'm aware of an incoming monsoon. Since I moved last year to the outskirts of our valley, there have been several long-term power outages and a few power interruptions. Last week, while I was home, the electricity went off and on repeatedly several times quickly -- I ran to the computer to shut it off (have a UPS, but not going to make it my only defense) - it was going off and on (UPS not holding a charge) so fast that I had trouble shutting it off. When I turned it back on, all was well (after a Disk Scan and the Windows warning about "using Shut Down to turn off your computer". Soooo, it's time to go shopping for new protection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 09:01 AM
We have the UPS and when the batteries no longer hold a charge you need to contact the company and order some new ones. They seem to last about a year maybe 2 at the most.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 09:25 AM
Thanks, DJ - hadn't even thought about it being as easy as "changing the batteries"!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2006, 06:45 AM
I had to buy a battery backup because I live in an area with constant outages of only a few seconds, just long enough to crash my computer and start every digital clock in the house to blinking (yes, I could put batteries in some of those, too, but I don't; I just fuss a lot). For a while, my neighbors and I documented the outages, thinking we could get something done, but at long last I decided not to fight it anymore and bought the battery. Each time the power goes off and on, it simply beeps quietly, my computer doesn't even notice, and I smile, and say, "You've paid for yourself again."

Oh, and I voted for battery above, but it has the surge protector side built in, and I plug things like my scanner in that side.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2006, 07:40 AM
I was replacing powersupplys and random components every year or so until I got a line conditioning UPS
Attached Images
File Type: png UPS1.png (43.8 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2006, 10:01 PM
i never run a computer without a battery backup any more. i've lost too much work over the years to power failures and such. these things work. if my house loses power the backup kicks in BEFORE the computer can go off. this is quite remarkable to me and however it works it's well worth the minimal cost to be able to save your work with the backup on and then shut the system down.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 05:16 AM
There is a greater reason for running a battery back up than just "not losing work". most batery power supplys (all but the very cheapest) now have line voltage regulation, this means that they smooth out voltage fluctuations. low voltage can be just as damaging to computer equipment as power surges
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2006, 07:20 AM
I use a good UPS... that way, the power going to my PC is always "conditionned"...gotta protect that gear!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2006, 09:41 AM

I use a Battery Back UP system and I've several short lived Power Outages where I live so its worth while. And yes about every three years the battery dies and the battery system needs to be replaced.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware