RetouchPRO (
-   Hardware (
-   -   Monitor calibration with Adobe Gamma? (

Northernshadow 05-27-2005 04:42 PM

Monitor calibration with Adobe Gamma?
I don't know much about calibration except if it looks and prints good it must be fine....
Currently all I have to calibrate is Adobe Gamma, and just bought a Sony LCD HS75P monitor. Setting the black and white points seems to be no problem but I don't think I'm getting the gamma right. Everything looks great at 2.20 (windows default) but the strange thing is according to the grey square adjustment I should set the gamma at 1.60. When I set it at 1.60 the blacks go way too dark...

Right now I'm sticking with the 2.20 but will be worried I'm not seeing what others do!

I found this website
that has been helpful.

Any suggestions until I can invest in a better calibration system?

Doug Nelson 05-27-2005 05:14 PM

Stick with 2.2 and you'll match 90% of the monitors out there.

My best advice is to save your pennies for an i1 or Spyder calibrator.

Caitlin 05-27-2005 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Northernshadow

I found this website
that has been helpful.

Great link! I got myself a Viewsonic 19" LCD (VP191) a few weeks ago, and could not get anything sensible out of Adobe Gamma (The slider in Adobe Gamma to determine the gamma setting did nothing so I gave up at that point), yet that site seems to suggest my settings are pretty much spot on. I would like to get my monitor well calibrated, but at the moment the results I am getting looking at test images seem good.

Northernshadow 05-27-2005 08:19 PM

Thanks Doug, I have been looking at the Spyder... I guess I'll just have to decide if it will be a necessity! It will all come out in the print! :nod:

Caitlin, I'm glad it helped you out!

I also looked have at other thread about calibration and have learned a lot, the info and links were extremely helpful!