RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

I think I have big problems

Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM

Sorry for the delay in response. This problem could not have happened at a worse time.

Kraellin, thanks for the clarification of my problem, although I did not want to hear the bad news of a corrupted file. This problem is going to take time, and it appears that the file may be lost. I have become very discouraged with the idea of redoing the work.

Deadants, thanks for the links. I will give it a try.

Just a question, when you are working on a very large file, and you save it frequently, what type of backup saving do you do. I saved it on my second hard drive because my primary drive could not hold the file - scratch disks full - and not enough memory to save. Is it safe to save a large photo file on a rewritable disk?

Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 AM

I could try to restore the file for you if you would like? how big is it....let me know
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2005, 09:29 AM

Sorry for the delay. This is our busiest time of Year. The file is 916 MB and is made up of countless layers. tb5821 how would you aproach the problem? Any advice would be great. It is a wedding picture of my grandparents (the only picture) and it was quite damaged. It is a project of love for my mother.
Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2005, 01:24 PM

oh my lord, 916 MBs!? that is a HUGE image file. why so large? and in fact, this may have been part of the reason for the corruption....maybe. how large is your swap file? how much space was left on the partition where this was last saved? when working on this file it must have taken forever to just apply one filter. 916 MBs is almost 1 gig. even if you had 100 layers that's 9 MB's per layer! and even if you had 200 layers, that's 4.5 MB's per layer. that's just HUGE! how much ram do you have in your machine? and even if that was typo and you meant 91.6 MB's, that's still a VERY large file to be working with all at once. i'd seriously suggest cutting down on the resolution.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2005, 01:53 PM

Got to go with Craig on this Karyn, thats one seriously big file, and could cause all sorts of problems if you don't have the resources to cope with it. Any particular reason why its so large.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2005, 03:19 PM

In the past I have had a lot of success with a program called EasyRecovery Pro. It is very good for recovering lost files (be it accidentally deleted, formated disks, disks gone bad etc etc). You could try it out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
oh my lord, 916 MBs!? that is a HUGE image file. why so large? and in fact, this may have been part of the reason for the corruption....maybe. how large is your swap file? how much space was left on the partition where this was last saved? when working on this file it must have taken forever to just apply one filter. 916 MBs is almost 1 gig. even if you had 100 layers that's 9 MB's per layer! and even if you had 200 layers, that's 4.5 MB's per layer. that's just HUGE! how much ram do you have in your machine? and even if that was typo and you meant 91.6 MB's, that's still a VERY large file to be working with all at once. i'd seriously suggest cutting down on the resolution.

Craig

AH!!!!!!!! You are asking me questions I cannot answer. What is a Swap file? I am not sure what you mean by "partition". My picture is stored on a second hard drive 38.2 GB left. I was new at scanning and the picture is really damaged, so I scanned big. The pic began as a 98.8KB pic. I did this before I even started working with Photoshop, and new absolutely nothing about the program. How can you reduce the file size as you add layers? As you can tell I still know very little. Your advice and help would be much appreciated.
Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn
Sorry for the delay. This is our busiest time of Year. The file is 916 MB and is made up of countless layers. tb5821 how would you aproach the problem? Any advice would be great. It is a wedding picture of my grandparents (the only picture) and it was quite damaged. It is a project of love for my mother.
Karyn
FTP works for me, or there are p2p apps such as Mirc that would be the best way... that could transfer the file if you like...

Last edited by tb5821; 06-22-2005 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added Quote
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 03:17 PM

hi karyn,

a swap file is what is called virtual memory. you also have in your machine what is called physical memory. physical memory is an actual piece of hardware. it holds things in memory, temporarily. think of it as a number of boxes where you can store information for a while. as you use different pieces of software, this gets loaded into and out of memory. it's very fast.

a swap file does the same thing, only it's a sort of software version of physical memory. on a windows based machine, a file is created on your harddrive that ACTS as if it was physical memory. this file is allocated by windows and reserves this space on your harddrive depending on how you set it up, or on how windows sets it up if you let windows manage it.

if you let windows manage it, this file will change in size according to the needs of use. or, you can set it up and allocate a certain amount of the harddrive to always be this much space on the harddrive.

as your physical memory gets used up and there's no more room in it, windows then goes to this swap file or virtual memory and uses it as if it were also physical memory. it's not, but it gets used that way when there's no more physical memory available.

if you use up the physical memory AND the swap file, bad things start to happen. files can get corrupted, the machine can slow to a crawl, you can even get crashes to the desktop or even automatic reboots. none of this is good.

generally speaking (and this is VERY general) a windows xp machine shld have at the extreme least, 256 megabytes of ram, and that's pretty bare-bones. i've even seen one machine run with half of that, but dont expect anything fast to occur. a fairly normal windows xp machine would have at least 512 megabytes of ram. and if you're running a lot of high tech games or a good graphics editing program, i'd recommend 1024 megabytes (1 gigabyte) of ram, or more.

now, if you followed all of that, you may be beginning to see why loading one nearly gigabyte image, like you're doing, into your graphics program might begin to have some problems. that image is trying to ALL load into whatever amount of ram (the physical memory) you have and then also load into the swawp file if you dont have enough physical ram. in other words, your memory boxes are stuffed, overflowing, and spilling out all over the room

a partition is a section of your harddrive that is treated as if it was a separate harddrive. it's not, but it's treated as if it were. you can divide up a harddrive into separate areas that all get treated as if they were individual harddrives. this used to be quite common and even quite necessary for technical reasons you dont really need to understand here. on a windows xp machine it's now quite common to buy a large harddrive and not divide this up at all. the reasons for doing so have reduced because of techical advances.

from the sounds of it, you're ok in this regard. if you have 38.2 gigabytes left, then you're most likely just fine.

ok, moving on... you said
Quote:
the pic began as a 98.8KB pic.
. how did a 98.8KB file end up as 916 MB? i think maybe there's been a mis-communication here somewhere. is the CURRENT file 916 KB or 916 MB? or something else. please check it again.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2005, 03:36 PM

The current file is 960,900,931 bytes. Original was 159,930,080 bytes (I had done a number of scans - this is the one I think I used). Thanks for the definitions, Craig, am I correct in thinking that a swap file is the similar to scratch disks? It took time to load the picture, but once it was loaded I didn't find any problems. Now I wasn't applying filters, I was just correcting each area of the picture on separate layers (then if I did a correction I didn't like it was easy to fix or remove).

"FTP works for me, or there are p2p apps such as Mirc that would be the best way... " Unfortunately, I am abbreviation ignorant. Please let me know what this means.

Thanks,
Karyn
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware