RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

I think I have big problems

Old 06-23-2005, 04:55 PM

Do you have Aol Instant Messenger?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2005, 01:40 PM

karyn,

ok, if the original scan produced a file size of 159,930,080, there where does this come from:
Quote:
The pic began as a 98.8KB pic.
?? 98.8KB would be 1011712 bytes, or about 1 megabyte. 159,930,080 bytes would be roughly, 156 megabytes. so, i think we have some confusions here.

but, taking your last post as gospel, if the image after scanning it came out as the 156 megabytes (156MB), then the thing to have done would be to resize it before editing. a file that large is just generally too large to be working with on a home pc. there could be exceptions of course, but generally you would cut down the file size first.

in any paint program i've ever used or played with, there is always a 'resize' tool somewhere. i dont know exactly which menu this falls under in photoshop, but i guarantee it's there somewhere. just check the documentation on where to find it and how to use it. and if you do resize, always keep your original image as a separate file name. make the resized image a new file name. this way, you've still got that super high quality scanned original to work from and refer back to.

when you do resize, you want to keep the detail but also makes things easy on yourself and your computer as far as efficiency. it's also a good idea to have in mind what you're going to do with the finished product. do you want to print it out, post it on a web site, store it for archival purposes, and so on. this can help you determine how large of a file you want to be working with, at least to some extent. generally speaking, and this is just what i use at times, i like images at about 800 x 600 pixels (a pixel is a term coming from two words, picture and element, = picture element, = pix el, = pixel) (or 600 x 800 if they are vertically longer). this keeps most of the pertinent detail while giving me a size i can work with that wont over-tax the machine. it will also make a pretty good print in most cases. this isnt always true; it's just a rule of thumb. sometimes i'll double that if it's a particularly hard image to work on. and that's going to give you a file size of somewhere around 500,000 bytes, a considerably smaller amount than your original scan.

also, i'd highly suggest buying a computer dictionary and clearing up some of these common terms. if you're going to be working with computers and digital images, it's a good thing to know the words before you try to sing the tune

but, do feel free to ask. i'll help where i can.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 08:24 AM

Craig, Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate the help.

When I quoted 98.8KB, that was a scan I had made, but after you questioned the size, I realized that was not the one I actually used. Sorry for the confusion I can't open the file I am working on, so I wasn't sure which scan I used ( I had made 4 different sized scans).

I always save the original scan and work on a copy. I was under the impression, when working on a damaged photo, the more information you can get, the better it is. I don't normally scan or work with pictures that are this big. I work with photoshop 7 and it does have a resizing tool and I use it often.

I need to print a 8X10 photo when I am finished. The original picture is 2.5X4.25 inches and is extremely damaged. Much of the information is missing - thus the large scan - I had hoped to recover as much of the information as possible.

Thanks for your help with the some of the definitions, they were very clear.

tb5821, I do not have Aol Instant Messenger, but I do have MSN Messenger.

Thanks again,
Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn

tb5821, I do not have Aol Instant Messenger, but I do have MSN Messenger.

Thanks again,
Karyn
PM me your sn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 04:19 PM

karyn,

thank you for clearing that up

and, from what you're saying, what may have happened is that during a save, a crc error occurred (not your fault... it happens) and corrupted the file size or the part of the file that reports the file size, and that the file isnt really that large at all; it's just being reported incorrectly due to the corruption.

now, IF that's all that happened and is all that is messed up with the file, it may well be recoverable!

this also seems very likely as i doubt you would have been able to work with a file of almost a gigabyte in photoshop. it's not impossible, but it would have slowed your machine down so badly that you'd be waiting an hour for any changes applied to take effect. and that's why i think that maybe all that's happened is that the file size information has been corrupted and that the file isnt really that large.

i wish i knew just a touch more about this to help you out, but i think you need someone now that specializes in recovery.

good luck! if we can help more, let us know.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb5821
PM me your sn

I am going away with my family for a couple of weeks now that our Strawberry season is almost over. If you are willing to help me in August, that would be wonderful. I will PM you my sn then. There is no use doing it now because I have so little time to sit at the computer. Sorry for the delay in reply, we have a very large strawberry business and it takes up all of my time at the moment. Thanks for your patience.

Karyn
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware