RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

I think I have big problems

Old 06-03-2005, 08:57 AM

I think I have big problems

I have been working for weeks on a photograph restoration project. Today when I tried to load the picture in Photoshop 7, I was told that my picture could not be loaded because of a "Disk error". I am loading the picture from a second hard drive. I have tried "chkdsk", I have sent my hard drives through defrag., I have done a disk clean up, I have tried to move the picture to my main drive but got a cycle redundancy check data error.
Can anyone help me? I worked on the pic and saved it without any problems that I know of. If anyone can help me or can lead me to a helpful site, I would really appreciate it.

Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Janitor

Was the 2nd drive over a network? I've heard of problems like this when saving files over a network (not recommended).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the response
No the second hard drive is on my main computer. I can access all the other pictures on the file, just not the restoration project. I really do not want to start over

Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 02:51 PM

check the file name carefully. sometimes i make a mistake when altering a file name and put the revision add-on partially after the period, such that my file might end up as kraellin-.1jpg or some such. easy to do when working with multiple save-as's.

also, a common one is to save a psp or psd file with a mistake in the file type extension (.jpg, .psp, .psd, etc.) try altering the extension with a rename command to a different extension type, like, if you see a .jpg, change it to a .psd. in fact, that may even account for the file error message you're getting.

the other possibility is that you wrote over a sector error that was never caught or just occurred. this may make the file un-recoverable as is, but, and this was for win98, there used to be a programs like disk doctor from Norton and diskedit, also from Norton, that could read over these and recover most of the file data, sometimes even all. i currently dont know what would do that same thing in a Mac or windows xp, but there shld be something comparable around, if that's what's going on. try the other things i mentioned first. if those dont work, then look for the other.

and, if it does turn out to be the latter, the next time you do a defrag, do the long defrag that looks for and locks out bad sectors/clusters.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 07:44 PM

I don't know if this will work but you might give it a shot. Once you have located the file, copy it to a flash drive and try it on another computer. You might also try opening the file with Infranview if your using a PC or GraphicConverter if your using a Mac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2005, 07:55 PM

If you do a search on the web, there are a variety of disk/file recovery programs you could try. My first hit came up with these: http://www.freebyte.com/filediskutils/#datarecovery
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2005, 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I did not respond sooner, was away for a few days.

Kraellin, when I open a file, I click on the file itself, rather than typing in the file name. Thanks for the advice on the disk doctor - I will look into that. I did the long defrag and got nothing.

Caitlin, thanks for the website - every little bit of advice helps. It feels better to be able to try something.

Deadants, I would like to give your advice a try, but I am not sure what Infranview is? Please help.

Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2005, 05:23 PM

Infranview is a graphics utility that will open just about any format out there. http://www.irfanview.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 PM

ok, rather than try to remember this, i did a google define: and got this:

Quote:
Cyclic Redundancy Check. A CRC is a type of check value designed to catch most transmission errors. A decoder calculates the CRC for the received data and compares it to the CRC that the encoder calculated, which is appended to the data. A mismatch indicates that the data was corrupted in transit
basically, what that means is, your file is corrupted. it's not your drive; it's the file itself. that's the bad news. the good news is that you might be able to still recover it, but it would take something like a bit reader, disk/file/hex editor, or maybe disk doctor to do it. if it's only the crc number itself that is off, the data could possibly be recovered. and even if it's some of the picture data you might still be able to recover it by recalculating the crc number. sorry, i've seen programs for doing that before, but dont have any and dont know the names of any. but, that shld give you a lead.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 10:48 PM

Check this out, it might help,
http://www.officerecovery.com/photoshop/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware