RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Err CF - No Image

Old 06-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Angry Err CF - No Image

I'm SO bummed, I lost pictures. My CF card says No Image and Err CF. There were pictures there before, I saw them w/ my own eyes. The card was originally formatted in the camera, but I didn't reformat or anything. Actually, this happened once before w/ the same card, but since I'm new to digital, I thought it was a freak thing I might of accidently done. This card also froze up my camera once when I was formatting it-it got stuck on format busy, so I took out the battery.
I wonder if I have a bad card??? I have two cards and only one has been giving me these problems? Anyone know what the deal is? Are my pics gone forever? I don't suppose you can get me out of this one can you...ha ha...BTW I have a Canon 20D

Donna
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 PM

Doesn’t sound good. I did a web search a found some recovery tools that may help. Note, I have never used them so I can’t vouch for how good they are.

Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery - Freeware

Software:

Lexar Image Rescue

Digital Photo Recovery

MediaRecover 3.0

Best of luck, and please share what you end of using and whether it worked or not.

~T

Last edited by T Paul; 06-07-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 05:09 PM

Hi Inskip,

I read somewhere that the data is OK, but your FAT (or its equivalent on memory stick) has become corrupted, and therefore will not read. As long as you don't reformat the memory stick, your data should be recoverable. Sorry, can't find the article I read this in.

Try using one of the programmes T Paul suggests, alternatively try one of the professional data recovery services.

Sorry can't help any more, if I find the article, I'll be sure to post it.

OK, this isn't the article I was talking about, but it may help. http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS...SE/UNERASE.HTM

most of the useful info is toward the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 06-07-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 08:30 PM

I was away for awhile...

I tried MediaRecover without luck. Actaully, it said it recovered 48 of my pics, there's a list of them, but when I got to view the pic...nada. The program then quits on me. I'm gonna try another recovery program.

Sandisk said to reformat on the computer as FAT??? But I nedd a Windows machine to do this. I'll let you know what happens...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2005, 12:51 AM

Whatever else you do do, don't re-format your card, that will pretty much ensure that you can't recover your images. FAT is the file allocation table, which tells your computer what files are on the card, where they are stored, how big they are etc. It has probably got corrupted in some way, hence your inability to view them. However, the images are still on your card, and can be recovered, as long as you haven't taken any more pictures on that card, or re-formatted it. If the first recovery program didn't work, try another, or seek professional help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM

UPDATE - Err CF

UPDATE. I GOT MY PICTURES BACK!!!

I"ve spent the past couple of days researching recovery programs. After trying out the various demos, I found that PhotoRecovery by LC Technology worked best for me. FYI here's the rundown.

PhotoRecovery(LC Tech)-Recovered my images perfectly and was very fast (4min).

RescuePro-also by LC Technology recovered images but some were pixelated(12 min).

MediaRecover-took a LONG time and showed that it recovered 48 images but couldn't
display them.

PhotoRescue-recovered the images but there were black and various colored lines through them.

ImageRescue-I didn't try because there was no download, just CD, and I'm in a hurry.

I know that many of you had great success w/ all the softwares listed above. But, for whatever reason, it my case, PhotoRecovery worked best for me. Thanks for all the help and referrals. Now I'm getting ready to format my other card and, GOOD GOD, I hope it's not a problem w/ the camera itself...wish me luck...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 01:52 AM

Glad you got your images back, thanks for the feedback on the various recovery programmes, it should help others with similar problems.

As for the card you're having problems with, I'd re-format it, then use it for a while to take a lot of snaps, ensure that its reliable before using it for any serious work. Any more problems and I'd bin it.

Also check that its a type recommended by your camera manufacturer, I know that even among similar card types, there are differences between manufacturers, that can cause problems with some cameras.

Best of luck with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 AM

Actually, B&H Photo is going to replace the card for me since it's only 3 wks old. I just wanted to try and recover some pics first. The card was a SanDisk, and I actually bought 2. The first card I used right out of the package w/ no problems. The problematic card I formatted in camera first.
I just hope it's not the camera itself as I haven't formatted the first card yet-planning on doing it today. Wish me luck...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware