RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

EC SpectraView Reference 21" LCD2180 w/ Wide Gamut LED

Old 07-02-2005, 10:42 PM

EC SpectraView Reference 21" LCD2180 w/ Wide Gamut LED

http://www.spectraview.nec-display-s.../index_en.html

So is every other display on planet earth obsolete?
NEC has a little flash presentation up now.

It's relatively cheap for a high-end monitor (thinking Eizo, Barco, et.al.)
It appears to be compatible with most existing monitor calibration pucks.
So, what's the catch? There's gotta be something. I'm salivating over this thing and I've never even seen one in real life.

I searched and didn't find any info here. I'd like to hear your thoughts and wonder if anyone has had any time in front of a prototype.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Janitor

It appears to be marketed in the US as the LaCie 321. Impressive, under either label.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 09:37 AM

I'm getting wind that the price of this LCD/LED is gonna be at or above $6,000 (USD). That may put it out of reach of a lot of people until the price of parts come down and competition heats up.
Considering we've all been successfully working/printing with color without this monitor for the last 15 - 20 years, I can't imagine it will improve much of what we do.

Here's some more data on it.
http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/570/

The 2180WG (Wide Gamut) is not the LaCie 321.

Quote:
Bruce Fraser:
Note that I'm working with the 2180 WG, which is a totally different display from the 2180 or LaCie 321—I have no direct experience of the latter.
Quote:
Bruce Fraser:
I've been working with an engineering sample of the 2180WG for about a month. It's pretty amazing. The LCD panel is the same as on the 2180, but the LED backlights make a huge difference to both the luminance and the gamut. It really does cover the entire Adobe RGB gamut—the first time I ran a calibration, the red patch just about knocked me out of the chair.

It should ship in months rather than years, but it will be expensive, though probably not as expensive as the EIZO CG220.
Quote:
The 2180WG lets me see shadow colors better than any display I've used previously. It's a mixed blessing in that it's showing up defects in output profiles I previously thought were just great, with the result that it's making me reprofile everything in sight!
Quote:
The one downside I've discovered so far is that this display is quite brutal at showing flaws in the soft-proofing tables of output profiles. But it's quite wonderful to be able to compare the screen image to a properly-lit print rather than one in a throttled-back light box. I've been running the display at 200cd/m2 (it will do in excess of 250 cd/m2), and it's a very different experience from using a CRT. It takes some getting used to,

Last edited by RichardBrackin; 07-06-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Janitor

It looks like the "wg" makes all the difference. A quick google tells me the secret is in the backlighting, and there's a scary rumor that the wide range starts to fade after a year. But it is still the coolest monitor I've seen in a long time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware