Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitor calibration

View Poll Results: Is your monitor calibrated?
Yes, I put a lot of effort/money into it 78 31.97%
Yes, kind of...I use Adobe Gamma or something similar 127 52.05%
No, I should, but I've never bothered 28 11.48%
You can calibrate monitors? 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 AM
I use Apple Colorsync and get pretty good results throughout the workflow.

I've also obtained the ICC profies of my printers to stay in sync with their processes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Monitor Calibration

Since I've been buying all new digital equipment since the hurricane(s), I'm really into color management all through my workflow. It's tricky, but well worth the effort. I have a LaCie 22" monitor and use a Monaco OPTIX-xr colorimeter to do the calibration.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
WOW, I have never calibrated my monitor. I used the chart and my monitor is 2.10. My problem is, my monitor and my printer work well together so I never considered problems. I guess everyone sees my work way different than I do Do I calibrated and mess up my montior/printer or just leave it? Ahhh................

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 PM
I went out and purchased a $199 USD sensitometer calibrator package. What a difference it makes!

I was having a REAL PROBLEM getting my prints to match the way they looked on my monitor. They came out dark or contrasty or the wrong color. Now they consistently come out just right with no hassle.

When I printed, they looked too dark, so I went back to photoshop and took a "perfect picture" as far as the monitor was concerned - and then cranked the curves way up. The second print come out better but not perfect - now the color is wrong too. I spent $5-7 USD on paper and Ink on each picture I wanted to print because I was doing each print multiple times.

Now that I calibrate every month or so - First print is dead on.

Highly recommend calibrating your monitor first. Thats the easiest thing to do. Adobe Gamma is a great beginners step at accuracy - because it requires subjective judgement and does not have the precision electronic photocell of a calibrator. The grayscale chips on this site are a great start too. You should be able to see all the steps of black and white without any crushing.

Then you should see if you can get a profile for your exact printer and using the exact kind of paper you will be using. When you match your monitor, printer and your papers ink absorbtion factor - then you will get consistent results.

A monitor that is just slightly brighter than it should be - like the standard computer monitors are - will produce pictures that print dark and look dark on the web. If your monitor is just slightly bluish - like most are - then your prints will look muddied and over saturated in the flesh tones. Your prints will come out opposite of the problem you have with your monitors accuracy.

Want a great test - make up your own test chart - using Photoshop gray chips. You want to be able to see all the wihie and black steps and the middle 128 color should be pure gray and not reddish or bluish or green.

Attached are some general ideas how to set up a basic zero to 255 chip chart for yourself. It would be best for the 10-20 chips to fill the whole screen - these were for other purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calibration.jpg (39.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg grayscale2.jpg (34.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IRE Chip Chart.jpg (32.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by ray12; 01-30-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 AM
I'd like to see a poll asking "If you calibrate your monitor, what color temperature do you use?" Reason is, I use 6500 and my prints look great under daylight, but slightly darker in room light. Since most prints will be viewed in room light conditions, should I use 5500 or so to calibrate my monitor, i.e., calibrate for the real-life viewing conditions?

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Every month

It's our studio policy that we calibrate on the 1st of the month, every month, and that goes for the retouching department as well as the shooter workstations. (PhaseOne stations).

We have the Gretag-Macbeth EyeOne and it does a great job with all the CRT's, as well as the Wacom Cintiq21 tablet monitors, which have decent color adjustment controls built in.

The EyeOne will calibrate displays, printers and scanners. It won't calibrate our Kodak Approval though. We're seeing WYSIWYG there anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2006, 07:21 AM
always lots of great stuff covered here, this thread and all the comments are no exception...

seems my monitor is [maybe] set a bit dark... as best as I could tell I might be close to the 2.2 recommended in reading LQQKER's comment...

Doug's original comment, regarding images posted to the web [being too dark] possibly opens an opportunity for wider consideration or further discussion than simply judging images and monitors for print. First, I've recently heard a bit about color shift when saving as JPEG's even at the Camera level this is evident
With a 5D (shooting RAW and jpeg simultaneously) the jpegs are much darker than the RAW
... not that I know more about it than being able to google a quote and look at my last Canon Raw files and compare the Base RAW display to the JPEG's that are simultainiously created... that point possibly seeming moot, we can surely white balance and adjust the exposure of the RAW file...

but it does appear that between Save for Web settings, Save as JPEG and sRGB... folks are seeing some color shift.

Originally Posted by LQQKER
I agree with George. The correct gamma setting for those that are using windows (Xp through 95) is 2.2, setting it to 1.8 (as suggested for a Mac)will be lighter than a typical PC screen should be. My print output very closely matches my screen.

for those of us that work primarily in print... this is the key. is it not?

I've recently moved from one of our offices to another [and back] now someone else has inherited my monitor of two years—who's color and brightness I could trust... several million catalogues printed looking like what I saw on that monitor.

we've now got a ColorBurst SWOP® Certified RIP & Epson 4800 with Proofing paper to verify what I see here is what we can expect in print.

that said, what we see on our own monitors may not be at all what we can expect 'others' will see on their monitors when viewing on the web.

As an unscientific test—just to see how dark images I was posting to thwe web might be on other folk's screens, I posted an image to my home forum last year... viewed by a number of web & design professionals, the range of what was seen ran the whole gamut... this image has a set of numbers 0-9 on the right, with a gradient mask on the same set on the right.

this monitor seems dark, I was guessing I'm close to the 2.2 LQQKER's qoute suggested... and I can [faintly] make out the numbers at the left and see 0,1,2 and part of 3 on the right. The monitor I said I know I can trust from comparasin to a couple years worth of print output—I can see the 3 completely and have difficulty sating I see any of the 4 at all.

My monitors at home, which I use more for browsing and for creating artwork for display on the web are set quite a bit lighter... and I know I must take this into account.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 11:01 AM
There's a new (and VERY affordable! - $89) out for calibrating:
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware