RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitor calibration

View Poll Results: Is your monitor calibrated?
Yes, I put a lot of effort/money into it 78 31.97%
Yes, kind of...I use Adobe Gamma or something similar 127 52.05%
No, I should, but I've never bothered 28 11.48%
You can calibrate monitors? 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2001, 06:39 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sorry Vikki. It should have read 1.65 - 1.70.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2001, 08:10 AM

Yes. I got instructions from the company who prints my work on Lambda
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2001, 11:47 AM

Vikki
Photoshop has a color management setting for my specific Epson printer and when I print I use the Epson color profile as well and I seem to get very good results.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2001, 02:53 PM

I kinda use adobe gamma, at least I did calibrate my monitor and then save it as a profile (ICC).
I get to check my calibration everyday for when I get pictures back from my lab I get to compare them to what I see on the monitor.. which I might say is very very close.

I send my stuff to 2 different labs, one uses ICC profiles the other doesn't. I have just got into the habit of adding +4G to lab 1 and +5B to the other.

Where I get into trouble is when I try and tone down a print. seems to be a larger amount at the labs as verses on my monitor, so I have got use to a little is usually best.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2001, 05:32 PM

I have always set me gamma to 2.2, running windows 98SE.
In the Real World Adobe Photoshop by David Blatner and Bruce Fraser on page 135 they advise:

"If your running Windows, you're probably better off shooting for a target gamma of 2.2 than one of 1.8. PC-based systems generally aim for a gamma of 2.2 and you'll lose fewer levels in the video card's lookup table the closer to the native monitor gamma you aim. Mac users should continue to aim for gamma 1.8 for the same reasdon - the native gamma of most Mac display systems is close to 1.8"

Looked up the specs for my windows monitor and they advise it is set to use a gamma of 2.2.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2001, 09:51 PM

George,
Sounds like you're trying to get Macs and PCs to meet somewhere in the middle. Not a bad idea if it can happen.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2001, 09:59 AM

As I stated I am running on a PC (Windows 98SE)and have set the gamma to 2.2 which is the specs for the monitor I am using.

I was pointing out that monitors used for windows OS on PC's, normally have a gamma of 2.2 and MAC's have a gamma of 1.8. If you setup for the native monitor gamma then you'll lose fewer levels in the video card's lookup table.

Best to look at the specifications for your monitor and set the gamma to the specs to get the most from it.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2001, 12:24 AM

Monitor temperature---mine's got a fever

Something is weird. I use NO color management and don't set my gamma---when I did, my photos printed dark and oversaturated. Now it's back at 1.0, and PSP7 and my Epson 870 completely agree with each other (on Epson paper, anyway).

I was reading

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

and thought I would look to see what my monitor temp is set at, and I'm at 9300K! He recommends 6500K, which makes all my whites look orange-yellow.

What gives? Should I set the color temp and then futz with everything else to get things back to normal, or should I just accept that something is cancelling out something else and be happy?

(Note: I'm not retouching professionally)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2001, 09:39 AM

Kaulike
"If it ain't broke don't fix it" A very good saying and one I try to follow. With all the trouble we all go to match our devices to the same color profiles only to be disappointed, I would say if you had agreement between your devices then don't mess with it. (Or in your case, put it back) Somehow you achieved what we are trying to do by all the settings and fidgeting to get that perfect setting.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2001, 06:31 AM

I have used the Adobe Gamma and feel that I have that correct or at least close.

I feel like a complete idiot on all of this color calibration stuff. I have tried to read up on it and the more I read, the more my head hurts.

I just want to pay someone to come to my house, load the proper profiles for my microtek scanner, my epson 870 , and sony DSC-F707, Dell trinitron monitor, and make it work when using either photoshop or paint shop pro so that the colors match what I view on my monitor.

I would then need that kind person to show this confused person step by step what I need to do when I want to print to make it all come together.

Realistically, does anybody even do this kind of service, and would I have to take a home equity loan to get it done?

I live in the metro Chicago area so I think that would give me better odds of finding someone. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Signed

Carl, the head hurting, frustrated one who just wants his colors looking right.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware