Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitor calibration

View Poll Results: Is your monitor calibrated?
Yes, I put a lot of effort/money into it 78 31.97%
Yes, kind of...I use Adobe Gamma or something similar 127 52.05%
No, I should, but I've never bothered 28 11.48%
You can calibrate monitors? 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2001, 07:33 AM
I never thought about it but I would imagine if there is something to be done there are people out there to do it for a price. The Adobe gamma is fairly easy and there is a Wizard that leads you by the nose through it. As for the rest of the profiling, you're not the only one who feels bogged down in confusion. Photoshop color settings has my Epson printer listed and I still have trouble getting colors to match perfectly. It's really next to impossible to do and they make very expensive equipment to do just that because of the difficulties involved. Wish I could give you a magic number to type in but then my problems would be solved too if I could do that. Good luck finding someone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2001, 08:12 AM
I found the articles on the Epson printers and Photoshop at this site to be very helpful.

I am using the Epson printer paper profiles that you can download from here and have setup my computer to print from photoshop 6.0 as explained in the article. Printed a test image and found the colors on the monitor match the print, just a slight difference in brightness on some colors. Have been using these settings for a few months, happy with the results. I mainly print on the heavyweight matte paper.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2002, 06:54 AM
There is an excellent explaination on the adobe site.. under tutors I beleive?? that deals with how images are displayed. PC verses Mac. And most mac photo will display dark because of the difference in gamma between the 2 platforms. If I remember right you go to leveles on the mac then set the mid range to a gamma of .8 to see how your photo will display on a pc.
For pc users you set that to 1.2 to see how your photos will display on a MAC. Not exact but close enough

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 09:13 AM
I calibrate with the adobe gamma. I try once a day(it's weekly more like it) But I don't totaly rely on it for highlight,shadow,neutrals. I check them with the eyedropper tool ALL THE TIME for output to devices. I know some that use Barcos' don't check the numbers. But then again for $5,000., I would want the thing to drive me to work too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 04:01 AM
Up until last week, I hadn't actually calibrated my monitor !!! when I was reloading some software, I noticed that something called Kodak "Colorific" came on a cd with my monitor so I loaded it and finally got my monitor calibrated (and adjusted the "color temperature" in my monitor which I never knew I could do until now) I'm liking the results I'm getting on my monitor much better now! I'm going to have to add that to my weekly/monthly "to do" list (although I'll probably only end up doing it bi-monthly anyway..)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 10:33 AM
I agree with George. The correct gamma setting for those that are using windows (Xp through 95) is 2.2, setting it to 1.8 (as suggested for a Mac)will be lighter than a typical PC screen should be. My print output very closely matches my screen.

This information can be verified on page 842 of the Photoshop 7 bible. Or if you wish you can check the specs in the operating system.

The chart that Vikki referred to seems to be quite accurate. Thanks

Last edited by LQQKER; 12-20-2002 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 02:46 PM
I seem to be the odd one out. I use Colorvision's Optical software with their Spyder hardware. My A90f Viewsonic displays what I want to see in photoshop and Qimage. I have tried the Colorific software that came with the monitor and Adobe Gamma with some problems with both. Now color calibration is a non-issue and I can worry about all the other things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2003, 01:20 PM
Lightbulb With new eyes!

How important is calibration? It may be more important than you realize and what you see might not be what you get.

I suspect that, even though a number of us have worked and played on the net for many years, we are each operating in a virtual vacuum. Although I'm a relative new comer to photo work I have over 30 years of computing experience under my belt, so I like to think I know a thing or two. I've always built and maintained my own computer systems and until recently this included dual 15" monitors. These monitors were the sharpest and brightest monitors I could find, and I loved working on them. I believed the results, I saw on my screen, would impress other viewers.

When my primary monitor began to fail I started looking for a replacement, but over the last few years 15" monitors have virtually disappeared, so I began looking at the new 17" flat screen units. Using the buy and try (money back if your not satisfied) option available at Office Depot etc. I quickly returned the first monitor I tried because it was way to dark. The whites were a dim egg shell color not the super snow white bright I was used to. On further investigation I found most monitors appeared much darker and dimmer than the ones I was using (on the new super bright monitors you can not set the black point properly).

I was trying to figure out how I was going to produce adequate work on these much darker machines, when I came to the realization that for years I'd been doing everything wrong. On my old "super bright" monitors I'd always had to reduce the Contrast and Levels to get the pictures to appear "normal".

It was a shock to understand that most viewers didn't have the same bright monitors that I had, so they wouldn't see my images the same way I did. For most viewers my images would appear much darker and dimmer than I expected.

Therefore, if we only consider our own preferences for brightness, gamma, and color saturation - we might be surprised to find that other people, looking at our work on the web, see something very different than we expect. If our monitors are set brighter than normal, others will see our work as too dark. If our monitors are set darker than normal, our work will appear brighter than we expect.

These considerations only apply to putting our work on the web. If we are pre-processing or printing our work then we must ensure our settings match our output devices.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2003, 10:45 PM
At my employment, we recently purchased an Epson 9600 and an Eye One calibration unit was bundled. I swear by it!!!!

If you need truly accurate output, consider a monitor calibration unit which profiles an ICC. It's simple to set up and very precise. It's more far more accurate than Adobe Gamma and well worth the investment vs. wasted prints.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2004, 09:19 AM

Doug, the biggest problem come indeed from the different gammas that PC and MAC's are using.

Most experts (Bruce Fraser, writer of Real World Color Management, Ian Lyons, form Computerdarkroom) recommend using 2.2 on Mac, as on Pc...

NJPatRN (and others), BE VERY CAREFUL about AimDtp... the theories from that site (gamma at 1.0) are not shared by the majority of the Color Management experts (Schewe, Fraser, Lyons, Koren, and Chris Cox -an Adobe Software Engineer-, etc... the list is very long!)

Make your own tests, but don't tell that you weren't warned...

You can also make a google search about "linear gamma", "aim dtp", or "Timo Autiocari" and see what the majority of persons think about it...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware