RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitor calibration

View Poll Results: Is your monitor calibrated?
Yes, I put a lot of effort/money into it 78 31.97%
Yes, kind of...I use Adobe Gamma or something similar 127 52.05%
No, I should, but I've never bothered 28 11.48%
You can calibrate monitors? 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2004, 09:55 AM

My LCD monitor is always calibrated with colorimeter .
I used to get better results with a CRT monitor using the manual adobe gamma, however.........

I had read somewhere, if you go into Photoshop's "color settings"....and turn color management to "off" you get more accurate color for web use. When management is on...you are using color management for how the image appears in print.

I have tried it and it gave me better results when I submit color corrected products for an online store. Maybe this was only useful to me as I am on a mac. It has improved color as well as gamma.

This link was intended for Photoshop 5 (but still applies to photoshop CS which I use now.) You'll also find the suggestions on other websites as well. Hope this helps.

http://www.mccannas.com/pshop4/tip37.htm

Wideangle
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 AM

Until about 9 months ago, we only ever calibrated using Adobe Gamma. We eventually got around to buying a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One, and it is by far the best £100 or so that we have ever spent. It paid for itself within a couple of months, simply by us not having to reprint or reorder from the lab because things hadn't matched the screen. Everything now comes back from our lab in EXACTLY the way I'm expecting it to. I can't recommend it highly enough!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2004, 03:58 AM

"There has to be a better way than this."

That was the conclusion I came to after a frustrating, paper and ink wasting time 'guesstimating' how much too dark, flat and blue I had to get my photos 'on screen' before they would print with pleasing saturation, contrast and colour.

So I did my homework reading up on colour management, which enlightened and discouraged me in roughly equal measure. It seemed that even with mega-money expenditure on calibration hardware and software, perfect matching of screen to print was nigh impossible.

On the premise that I couldn't make my situation a lot worse, I tracked down generic profiles for my monitor and printer (I already had those for my cameras and scanners) turned on the colour management options in my software and spent a little while tweaking my monitor's controls and settings with the WYSIWYG monitor calibration software (kind of like Adobe Gamma as I understand it - but Adobe Gamma 'crashes' on my PC so I had to find an alternative).

O.K. the monitor-print match isn't perfect, but it is a MASSIVE improvement I'm sure that proper custom profiling of the devices would get me even closer to the theoretical 'perfect match', but for an amateur making his prints on an InkJet printer the important thing is that I now consistently get pleasing prints that look pretty damn close to how they did on the screen if not exactly the same. That last small percentage of accuracy isn't important enough to me to want to throw more of my limited photo-hobby budget at attaining it.

So, in my personal experience the free monitor calibration tools (and a bit of time spent tracking down profiles) has worked wonders for outlay of nothing but some of my time - time I would have wasted (not to mention money) making bad prints in the past anyway.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 07:33 PM

I just got a new LCD monitor and it has more calibration settings than I have ever seen. This is my 5th monitor and, as far as I can tell, will be my last. I have it using the adobeRGB1998 ICC and my PS working space is set at the same. It's working fine so far. By the way, I finally gave up on Epson printers, never could get the result to match, I'm using a Canon now and am more than happy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2005, 04:14 PM

Does it count as calibration if I simply did several test prints and then played with the colour until it matched my output?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2005, 07:30 AM

That would be more along the lines of "profiling" than calibration. Calibration is just making a device output the same everytime in a "bubble" if you will. Profiling is adjusting the colors to match one or many different output devices....IE) A different profile for each printer...and each printer would be calibrated before you profile. Many printers calibrate when you turn them on. But monitors need to be calibrated by the user either with a colorimeter or something like adobe gamma. After that it's about playing with the colors of the monitor. But really the ideas cross over eachother.
But, like you're doing, playing with the color till it matches counts indeed. That's what its all about no matter how it is acheived.

What a blab that was. I hope that at least helped someone...
Wideangle
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2005, 08:27 PM

I don't usually calibrate my monitor. I do try to find the drivers for my monitor if available. I just bought a 21" Sun Microsystems/Sony GDM5410PT, but can't find a driver. I decided to run Adobe Gamma and I always get confused on what to do. Pick the most neutral gray square.. what is neutral?! I just clicked on the square I thought was most gray.. the others were kind of purple/blue.

In the end after I've done calibration I always go and adjust the monitor myself because it's always a little dark for my tastes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2005, 11:26 AM

I just ran Adobe Gamma for the first time. The wizard told me to set my contrast to maximum. Am I supposed to permanently leave my monitor contrast at maximum?

I had some trouble setting the individual colors. Standing 10 feet back seemed to help me ascertain whether the center square was brighter or darker than the border.

The before/after comparison shows me that I have added some green to my monitor. It looks fine either way, but I want to know that my monitor is correctly calibrated.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Rogers; 05-21-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Janitor

It helps me to take off my glasses and squint. Yes, to the contrast question.

Both Spyder and i1 have hardware calibration units for around $100 nowadays, I'd strongly recommend that method over Gamma (but Gamma is infinitely better than nothing at all).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2005, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. But am I supposed to leave my monitor's contrast setting at 100% after the calibration exercise?

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware