RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

saving to a CR-RW

Old 08-16-2005, 12:39 PM

saving to a CR-RW

I had a problem saving pictures to my CD-Rw. I have Window XP and was using photoshop to save a bunch of pictures to a CD. I successfully saved to it but i could not resave on it. I open the picture back up and did some corrections and tried to save it or replace it, When i did this it said that i need permission from the administrator of the computer (which is me). So how do i remove that warning and be able to work and save as much as a want to. Thank for your help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 01:05 PM

as i recall, IF you made the orignal folder with the pics as an open-ended folder you shld be able to do what you want. but, it sounds like you didnt and that you 'closed' the file/folder. cd's and dvd's are weird like that. it's got something to do with the format they use. once you 'close' the file/folder it sort of says 'ok, that's that and nothing more will be done with it so i can fully save and write this thing as done'. it's kind of a sloppy system. on a cd-rw, i forget whether you can re-open that file/folder again and then append more data to it. i would think you could, but i dont recall off hand. and, you may need something like Nero or InCD to do it with if it can be done.

when i use cd-rw or dvd-rw for saving continuously and backing up, there is always an option at the end which asks whether i want to leave it open or close it. i always leave it open for backups like you want and then, once the disk is full, i close it off and use it as a read-only.

also, when you first put a fresh cd-rw or dvd-rw in the tray and it auto-runs you'll get a menu, or shld, that asks what type of file or mode you want to work in. the options will be things like 'audio', 'video', and some other things. you shld also get one option that is something like 'for saving files' or 'that works like a normal windows folder'. pick that option and at the end of your save dont close it off.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 PM

Thanks Craig. I think i stoped it before it did anything. But after i saved it it didn't ask about closed or not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 02:33 PM

one other thing that occurs to me here; do you have the files saved as an 'archive only' or 'read only'? that might also account for the permissions request. but, if you're on your administrator account, that shldnt happen that it asks you for permissions. so, not quite sure here. (frankly, i hate the whole 'permissions' and 'accounts' thing on windows)

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 02:35 PM

oh, have you also checked to see if the cd is full?

and, can you save a different, new file to the cd?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 02:51 PM

It was a brand new CD i just opened up. Also i think after looking at its properties after i saved it said read-only. When you save it how do you determine which one you want?

I just put in a new CD and let it run by itself and it didn't do anything. When i right click on it and press sharing and security ~> autoplay it gives me the option of take no action, play with media player or open files to view folder. But thats probally not what your talking about.

Having a bad computer week! Along with a screaming 8 month old!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Ok iforget what i said about those choices, i notice that that was for music. It gave me alot more options when i choose pictures.

Do you think that the drive makes a difference? I have a DVD drive and a DVD-RW drive. I think i saved it in the DVD-RW one. Sorry for being a pain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 03:12 PM

Ok one more post. I opened another picture and saved on that same CD. It allowed me to do that, but i opened it messed with it then tried to save that one over the original and it said that same thing. I then pressed the box that said save as a copy and it let me do that. But it never ask me any of those things you were saying. But i don't get how you determine if it is read-only or archive. I tried to go to the disk properties and check the archive too but it said i couldn't change it (error).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM

ok, too little data here. normally, when i spin-up a cd-rw or dvd-rw it auto-runs and i eventually get a windows type window with options. in those options are things like 'audio cd', 'open as files (like windows explorer), 'video cd' and so on. if i'm saving files then i pick 'open as files'. and it does act very similar to windows explorer. i can drag and drop files to and from the cd.

the other way to do it is with something like InCD or Nero, which you start first and then have it open the cd for file burning.

i'm actually not quite sure why you cant overwrite your previous files. if you opened the cd in the 'as files' method, i would think that it could. a cd-r or cd+r is a write only, but a cd-rw shld be able to read and write and erase and use again. and that would lead me to believe that it shld then be able to copy over another file. but, i dont use mine a lot (i shld, for backups, but i dont). so, i tend to forget the exact parameters and procedures of all this until i have to go do one again. but i also know that the cd/dvd formats are a bit screwy. i mean, why all these different modes, audio, video, files, etc? i just want to insert the thing, back up my data, and close it down again. period. i suppose it's because of how all this stuff developed, but, cant we all just get along?

jen, you also mentioned something i'm not familiar with. what is this:
Quote:
When i right click on it and press sharing and security ~> autoplay
where is that?

also, dont be afraid to spell EVERYTHING out and get VERY verbose about what you're doing, or not doing in some cases. i'm fairly good at reading over other folk's shoulders, but it gets faded when i pass 500 miles

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Autoplay is one of the folders in the properties menu of the Cd that i burned. So you have XP?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware